VMware Cloud Community
shenoygourav
Contributor
Contributor

Cannot start virtual machine via VSphere-Client

I am trying to create a virtual machine on a ESXi host (5.5), via the VSphere Client installed on a Windows Server 2008 R2 machine.

I have created 2 applications on Ravello -
1. An empty ESXi - on which I installed and configured ESXi 5.5 to use static IP: 10.0.0.4
2. A Windows 2008 R2 machine - on which I have installed VSphere client.

I was able to successfully connect to the ESXi host on 10.0.0.4 via the client. I was also able to create a new virtual machine with required specs. But when I try to start the virtual machine, I get an error: "Unable to start virtual machine". There is no additional info/error stack displayed.

I am new to using vmware and esxi hypervisors, so any help is highly appreciated. I have an urgent requirement to install an application that mandatory needs ESXi bare metal hypervisor.

Thank you!

0 Kudos
5 Replies
akarydas2
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

There should be some more info on the console if you check under VM at the Events tab and see for details.

If not in the same directory of the VM there is a vmware.log file that can show some more info. Also you can export the logs from console File > Export > Export system logs.

Best Regards

0 Kudos
harshhn
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Shenoygourav,

Could you post the message you see in the events tab on the host/VM ?

0 Kudos
shenoygourav
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for the quick response. The error message is - "You are running VMWare ESX through an incompatible hypervisor. You cannot power on a virtual machine until you have disabled this hypervisor".

0 Kudos
akarydas2
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

0 Kudos
shenoygourav
Contributor
Contributor

I guess it is a virtual ESXi. I have installed ESXi on an empty machine enabled for ESX (on Ravello cloud). The ESXi installation was successful. I followed the steps at VMware ESXi 5.5 / 6 ISO Image on AWS: How-to

I have also enabled "nested virtualization" on this machine.

0 Kudos