VMware Cloud Community
BikramSingh
Contributor
Contributor

Cannot start VMGuest.

Hi All,

I know you all will think... here comes another fool looking for solution for a problem which has ben tackeled & resolved many times in this forum and else where.

but my dear friends, I am posting this because this is a very peculiar issue which I tried to search but did not comes across any solution, and this is my Production Exchange 2010 server so my all work is down.

here is what the problem is....

ESX Setup:  3 ESX hosts 4.1 Update 3 in cluster, Vcenter 4.1

Storage : SAN Iscsi Interface

Issue with Exchange 2010, 2 HDD 100 GB C: and 650 GB 😧 8 Processors: 12 GB RAM,

Yesterday morning suddenly Exchange went down, I tried to reboot it but couldnt...  gave me error vswap busy....... so I tried following:

1) Checked the Lock over it

2) Killed the process.

3) still no booting

4) tried migrating to another host... Failed

5) removed from inventory but couldnt import into vsphere: operation timeout

6) logged into the ESX server via console: tried registering with console : operation time out

7) Shutdown the server, shutdown the SAN rebooted: still cant register to any host'

😎 Tried copying files to another location:  one file - Exchange2010_3_1-000001-delta.vmdk 300GB size can not be copied

9) checked SAN all green no faults or Alerts

tried to check in logs... no luck.. nothing in logs..  when i register the VMX file via command nothing is register in /var/log/vmkernel

now neither the VM is on any host, nor I can boot it as no host can register it,....

can somebody help me out here what I am missing and how can I boot my exchange...  My bosses are very angry... Please HELP

Thanks,

0 Kudos
2 Replies
BikramSingh
Contributor
Contributor

After lot of efforts and moving the guest files atleast i was able to register it to a host...

now when i try to boot its giving me error that

Reason: Failed to lock the file.

Cannot open the disk '/vmfs/volumes/4e2293e8-05a48810-759e-001517c8d58f/Exchange2010_3/Exchange2010_3_1-000002.vmdk' or one of the snapshot disks it depends on

Thanks,

Bikram

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Moderator note: Moved from the community help area to the ESX 4 area.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos