VMware Cloud Community
witcher_S
Contributor
Contributor

Cannot start VM after datastore got full

Hello,

My datastores went full and I got a message 

'There is no more space for virtual disk xxxx.vmdk. You might be able to continue this session by freeing disk space on the relevant volume, and clicking Retry. Click Cancel to terminate this session'.

After i removed all snapshots and nothing goes well.

I got another error like this when starting the VM:

'Failed - Failed to file system specific implementation of Lookup[file]........Could not open disk '/vmfs/volumes/5.....0-000005.vmdk' or one of the snapshot disks it depends on.

I tried to see the vmsd file which should have the snapshot information but the file was empty, and I then inserted the information into it but it had no effect. 

Likewise in the vmdks of the snapshots I checked the CID and the parentCID and it is correct.

This is what the logs show : 

'vmx| I125: DISKLIB-CHAINESX : ChainESXOpenSubChainNode: can't create deltadisks node 285a3a-..vm....-delta.vmdk failed with error Input/output error (0xbad000a, I/O error)
2022-10-05T10:45:47.342Z| vmx| I125: DISKLIB-CHAIN : "/vmfs/volumes/.......0-000005.vmdk" : failed to open (Input/output error).

Failed to open '/vmfs/volumes/......-000005.vmdk' with flags 0xa Input/output error (327689)

Do you have any suggestions for me please.

Thanks a lot

0 Kudos
3 Replies
maksym007
Expert
Expert

Are you able to migrate VM between esxi hosts? 

As far as I understood you have no additional Datastore to migrate VM there. 

Please check also Reclaiming VMFS deleted blocks on Thin Provisioned LUNs (2057513) (vmware.com)

0 Kudos
stadi13
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Did you cleanup the snapshot when the datastore was still completely full? If so, you successfully broke the snapshot chain as additional sapce is needed during snapshot removal.

If you have a backup of the virtual machine you should consider to restore it. If not, you have to manually merge the snapshot chain and maybe also recreate the vmdk metadata of some vmdks.

Regards

Daniel

0 Kudos
witcher_S
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

Thanks for your help.

We have already migrated the server to a new datastore and nopus got the same error.
And following https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/2057513:
We got the result as:

"""Devices backing volume xxxx-xxxxxxx-xxf6b10f0e0 do not support UNMAP"""""

Thanks.

0 Kudos