VMware Cloud Community
haimbeyhan
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Cannot shut down RedHat 4 vm

Hi,

We have a vm running RedHat 4 Ent. on ESX 4 build 208167. The vm was stuck today for some reason. There was no connection to it at all remotely. I succeded to open its console from Virtual Center and tried to shutdown from the os. It started running the init stop scripts and it's stuck somewhere. So I decided to power off from the virtual center. Nothing happens.

Ho do I shut down this vm ?

Thanks,

Haim Beyhan

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
NTurnbull
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Hi, you could use the vmware-cmd path_to_vm_vmx_file stop command from the console of the host it's running on or failing that you can find the vm's PID using ps -auxwww | grep -i vmname and then using kill to kill the PID associated to the vm.

Thanks,

Neil

Thanks, Neil

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
NTurnbull
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Hi, you could use the vmware-cmd path_to_vm_vmx_file stop command from the console of the host it's running on or failing that you can find the vm's PID using ps -auxwww | grep -i vmname and then using kill to kill the PID associated to the vm.

Thanks,

Neil

Thanks, Neil
0 Kudos
savantsingh
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

You can power off the VM by either using Ctrl+E on the console or right click the VM>>Power>>Power Off.

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".
0 Kudos
haimbeyhan
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks, I could shut down the machine through vmware-cmd command. The soft did not work but the hard did work.

Haim

0 Kudos