VMware Cloud Community
SilverNZ
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Cannot set correct memory limit. Host has 8GB, resource pool will only allow up to 5GB

I am trying to set a memory limit for a resource pool on a host. I can't seem to get it to 6GB. The host has 8GB however it only allows me to set up to 5GB. Any idea why?

Capture.PNG

12 Replies
vNEX
Expert
Expert

Hi,

every child RP has its parent RP every parent RP has its Root RP (Host or Cluster) ...

Can you please tell us more about your RP hierarchy and its settings? are you trying to set memory limit on parent or child?

Can you also post root parent pool resources availability:

RP.png

Thanks

P.

_________________________________________________________________________________________ If you found this or any other answer helpful, please consider to award points. (use Correct or Helpful buttons) Regards, P.
SilverNZ
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

My parent resource pool is the host. There is no other resource pool on the host either(manually made by me).

The host is freshly installed and has only had minor changes made to it (added to a vCentre, syslogging pointed to the vCentre and the local log directory was changed)

Root resource pool(host level):

Capture.PNG

You can see I've only been able to set my resource pool to 5GB. The total capacity is only 5539 for some reason? Is it possible the host has reserved memory elsewhere?

What I don't understand is that the memory limit is 8GB under the system resource allocation tree:

Capture.PNG

0 Kudos
vNEX
Expert
Expert

Hi,

you must have some custom reservation set in your System Resource Allocation...expand host RP and collapse remaining RPs so you will see only system resource pools below:

Then click on vim, user and system RPs and check how much memory reserved they have....

Image 3.png

_________________________________________________________________________________________

If you found this or any other answer helpful, please consider to award points. (use Helpful or Correct buttons)

Regards,

P.

_________________________________________________________________________________________ If you found this or any other answer helpful, please consider to award points. (use Correct or Helpful buttons) Regards, P.
0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Remember that the ESXi host (the VMkernel) requires some memory too to do its job.

André

vNEX
Expert
Expert

any updates for system resource pools reservations ...?  from my point of view 1/3 of host installed memory for vmkernel overhead (device drivers, services, minfree res. etc.) is quite too much for an empty host.

Can you also post output from ESXTOP regarding memory metrics (m switch).

Thanks

P.

0 Kudos
SilverNZ
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

It wouldn't be 3GB for the system though would it?

0 Kudos
SilverNZ
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I haven't changed any system pool reservations(that I know of)

Basically, I'm trying to achieve a scenario where each resource pool can only have 2 VMs powered on at once(I only have one pool at the moment).

The idea is that the resource pool can only consume 8GB of memory, and each VM has a reserved amount of memory (4096mb).

At the moment, each VM has been given 2048mb and the pool has been set to just under 5GB so that the 2 VM limit still works(as I can't set the pool above 5GB)

The screenshot shows my memory limit on two of my VMs, however I'm not sure what the other 4 are(there are two VMs powered on(crossed out) and two powered off which I can't see listed)

Capture.PNG

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

>>> It wouldn't be 3GB for the system though would it?

Adding an ESXi host to an HA cluster requires approximately 2.4GB RAM, which is about the amount that's "missing" in your resource pool settings. According to the screenshots you posted, the ESXi host is managed by vCenter Server, so I assume it's member of an HA cluster!?

André

SilverNZ
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Ah snap

It seems I have a bit to learn. Yes you are correct, it is part of a vCentre but it's not setup for HA etc (it's just for management).

Can I disable HA?

0 Kudos
SilverNZ
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

In saying that. I'm licensed for essentials only. So I'm not sure how HA would be available?

0 Kudos
NealeC
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

If you haven't entered/assigned your essentials license keys yet then the hosts will be running in evaluation mode for 60 days, allowing you to test all features. (Similarly with vCenter)

-------------- If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or Correct buttons to award points. Chris Neale VCIX6-NV;vExpert2014-17;VCP6-NV;VCP5-DCV;VCP4;VCA-NV;VCA-DCV;VTSP2015;VTSP5;VTSP4 http://www.chrisneale.org http://www.twitter.com/mrcneale
0 Kudos
SilverNZ
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Keys are set:

Capture.PNG

0 Kudos