VMware Cloud Community
godbucket
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Cannot remove vnic from virtual machine

Oh man, this is weird...

So there's this Citrix Access Gateway virtual appliance we have.

cxgateway-nics.jpg

The VM has 4 network adapters, shown above. Only #1 and #2 are used. 3 and 4 are connected to "Priv1" which is a virtual switch without any physical network adapters associated with it; it is not in use whatsoever.

Well, when I try to remove these 2 unused vnics and click 'Ok', then open the settings for the VM again... they're still there! They just will not go away.

Why is this? Any assistance would be GREATLY appreciated Smiley Happy

Thanks in advance!

0 Kudos
7 Replies
MauroBonder
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

What´s happen when you select adapter, click REMOVE, and select OK ?!

Please, don't forget the awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers. 

Mauro Bonder - Moderator

*Please, don't forget the awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers. *Por favor, não esqueça de atribuir os pontos se a resposta foi útil ou resolveu o problema.* Thank you/Obrigado
0 Kudos
godbucket
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

That's whats so weird, I cannot remove them. I've tried many times...

I highlight the adapter I want removed, click 'remove', it puts a line through it (marks it for removal), then I click 'ok' and it closes the window.

When I go to 'edit settings' of the virtual machine again, they're back again! Isnt that weird?!?!

How do I remove them? Has anyone encountered this before?

Thanks in advance!

0 Kudos
FredPeterson
Expert
Expert

Have to ask - is the VM powered off?  Perhaps vCenter is geting confused about being able to hot unplug the device.

0 Kudos
MauroBonder
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

if you can, post here archive .VMX of this virtual machine. Close and open again vi client to refresh . Go to edit settings and check if was removed.

*Please, don't forget the awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers. *Por favor, não esqueça de atribuir os pontos se a resposta foi útil ou resolveu o problema.* Thank you/Obrigado
0 Kudos
godbucket
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Well, that's a dang good point...

The VM is powered on (production Citrix AGEE server) and its a virtual appliance that runs some kind of Linux; not Windows.

So you're probably right, it may not know (or care) about hot unplugging of devices.

I'll down it tonight, try again, and update the thread once I know something.

Thank you so much for your replies!

0 Kudos
lackhead
Contributor
Contributor

Any luck with this?  I know it was a while ago, but I'm running into the same issue (I have rebooted the VM, but the issue did not go away).  I'm also not able to connect the vNIC; when I click the Connect check box and hit OK, I get an error, "Invalid configurtion for device 0".  That said, this is a template that I've converted back to a VM to patch/update, which I've done several times in the past with no issues.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

0 Kudos
lackhead
Contributor
Contributor

Well, I got it straightened out.  I VMotioned it over to a new host, and I still couldn't remove/connect the vNIC.  However, I was able to change the Network Connection (dvSwitch port group) it was connected to (which wasn't working before).  After that I tried connecting it on this new port group, I was able to change it back to the original port group, and it connected fine.  I was then able to remove the vNIC.  It's been working fine ever since.

Go figure.

0 Kudos