VMware Cloud Community
agranquist
Contributor
Contributor

Cannot re-add ESXi 5.1 host to version 4.1 dvSwitch

I recently upgraded vCenter to version 5.1 from version 4.1, the 4.1 environment contained two dvSwitches.  Upon the successful upgrade to vCenter 5.1, I proceeded to upgrade the hosts from 4.1 to 5.1.  After successfully upgrading 12 hosts, the 13th host had some problems with a vmotion vmkernel port and the recommended fix (KB Article) was to remove the host from the dvSwitch and re-add it.

After removing the host from the dvSwitch and rebooting for good measure, I attempted to add the host back to the dvSwitch.  Right clicking the dvSwitch and clicking "Add Host" fails to list the host in question or any other version 5.1 hosts.  This is the same for the other version 4.1 dvSwitch in the environment.

Creating a new version 4.1 dvSwtich will allow version 5.1 hosts (and v4.1 hosts) to be added.

I have logged a support call and tech support has advised me that it is a known issue and they are working on a fix.  I'm wondering if anyone else has come across this issue?  And if so have you found a fix?  Obviously creating a new dvSwitch would correct the issue, but its hardly desirable given I have 30+ port groups and 18 hosts.

Thanks.

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
lakshya32
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi agranquist

Welcome to the forums.

As they have already replied then only way is either to wait or go with 2nd way i.e create new dvSwitch

"When you fail to plan, you plan to fail."
0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

this is indeed a known issue and our Engineering is currently investigating this. For the moment there is no other known workaround other than re-creating the vDS after the Upgrade. (Reference KB 2037242, PR 929806).

Best Regards,

Tobias Sutor

VMware

0 Kudos
iyilmaz
Contributor
Contributor

I had the same issue and here is solution;

Run that script for every dVS on vCenter Sql database server

use VCDB;
GO
DECLARE @dvs_name varchar(32);
DECLARE @dvs_id int;
SET @dvs_name = 'xxx'; /* case sensitive DVS name */
SET @dvs_id = (SELECT ID FROM VPX_ENTITY WHERE NAME = @dvs_name);
INSERT INTO VPX_DVS_COMPATIBLE VALUES
    (@dvs_id,'esx','5.0+'),
    (@dvs_id,'embeddedEsx','5.0+'),
    (@dvs_id,'esx','5.1+'),
    (@dvs_id,'embeddedEsx','5.1+');
select * from VPX_DVS_COMPATIBLE where ID in (select ID from VPX_ENTITY where NAME = 'xxx');
0 Kudos
ethandlowry
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

iyilmaz, thank you so much for this fix. Running the script fixed the issue perfectly for me and made my upgrade a lot less complicated Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
PhilDusome
Contributor
Contributor

Alternatively, you can add the dvswitch information into the Host profile, then apply the profile.

0 Kudos