VMware Cloud Community
GFK
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Cannot login ESX 4.1 console

Hi,

I have a problem with at ESX 4.1 host. When I press alt+F1 on the console I get this screen (see attach file), no prompt for username. The host is showing as disconnected in the vCenter and I cannot reconnect or SSH to the host. Any help is appreciated.

Gert Kjerslev | If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
sa2057
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

0 Kudos
zXi_Gamer
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hi and welcome to the communities,

While the link given by sa2057 is more helpful in Embedded platforms and you are using Classic version, the reason you are seeing the messages,is because you might have mounted some CD rom or ISO images to the server. And though you have blocked using white paint, I suspect the hostname is taken as localhost.

just press Enter twice and you will be able to see the login screen asking for user name and password.. once logged in, just check if ssh is enabled by enabled PermitRootLogin yes in sshd_config and restart ssh and of course note down the ip address of the server Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
GFK
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Actually I have been a member for some time now, but somehow my user account was lose. But thanks anyway :-).

This is the classic version (good old ESX). I have tried to press return (many times) without any luck. There are no CD in the host. 😞

Gert Kjerslev | If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
nirvy
Commander
Commander

Pressing CTRL+C should force that console session to re-initialise - try that if you have not done so already.  You also have several sessions available from ALT+F2-F6 have you tried any of those?

GFK
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I can get a logon prompt when I press alt+f2 and enter usernam but when I press enter I'm not prompt for a password, I just get a blank screen. I'v restart the host and see if I can connect to it then.

0 Kudos
zXi_Gamer
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Then it seems the console is registering and announcing the presence of the device sdf continuoulsy. By any chance, is the device the USB key connected? Can you try by removing the usb key and check?

0 Kudos
GFK
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Turns out that a local disk to the host was trying to rebuild and locked up the host.:smileyconfused: I restart the host and deactivated one of the disk (RAID1) where vSphere ESX 4.1 is installed. Now I'm hoping that IBM gets here fast with a replacement disk:smileyplain:

Thanks for all you'r help.

0 Kudos