VMware Cloud Community
minakshi22
Contributor
Contributor

Cannot log into ESX server through vSphere client or web access

Hi,

I cannot log into my ESX 4 server through my vSphere client which is installed on WIndows XP. I tried logging in using web access also but I always get an error that "web page cannot be found". Through vSphere cleint I get an error "unable to connect remote server. I tried disabling firewall on esx and modifying iptables on esx. Both the client an dserver machines are connected to each other through a cross cable. Both have IP address and subnet masks. I cannot even ping both the machines from each other. Can anyone help me out ! I will be really greatful !!

Thanks

Minakshi

0 Kudos
8 Replies
mlubinski
Expert
Expert

if you cannot ping, then it means that either you set firewall rules in ESX, or you have misconfigured network settings.

Can you please post your ipconfig /all from your PC, and ifconfig from ESX?

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or correct buttons to award points

[I]If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or correct buttons to award points[/I]
0 Kudos
minakshi22
Contributor
Contributor

hi,

Thanks for your response ! The ESX is configured with static IPs - 192.168.1.10, subnet mask - 255.255.255.0, default gateway- 192.168.1.1, , Primary DNS Server 202.159.219.229.

The XP machine on which vSphere client is installed is configured with static IP - 192.168.1.10, subnet mask -255.255.255.0

The XP machine is also connected to Internet through USP port. I tried to disable the internet several time to test the connectivity but no use !

Regards

Minakshi

0 Kudos
TobiasKracht
Expert
Expert

Don`t you use one IP address for both?

StarWind Software R&D

StarWind Software R&D http://www.starwindsoftware.com
0 Kudos
mlubinski
Expert
Expert

As you posted this answer, you have IP conflict (the same IP for both client and ESX). Choose different IPs, and then check pings.

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or correct buttons to award points

[I]If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or correct buttons to award points[/I]
0 Kudos
minakshi22
Contributor
Contributor

sorry ! the IP of XP is 192.168.1.8

0 Kudos
y_wisdom
Contributor
Contributor

You did not answer question, can you ping the ESX host from your XP machine ?

0 Kudos
minakshi22
Contributor
Contributor

No I cannot ping

0 Kudos
mlubinski
Expert
Expert

Put in here result of command ipconfig /all on your XP client.

0 Kudos