siliconvalleysy
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Cannot install various Ubuntu Hardy 8.04.02-LTS on new ESXi4

Good day,

I'm unsuccesfully trying to install Ubuntu 8.04 on my fresh ESXi 4

install. I've installed 8.04 on Fusion, Server 2.0.x and ESX 3.02, but

when I run through the installer, it stops with a bright red screen when trying to install the

kernel package (or linux-image on jeos). This happens whether I'm trying to use LVM or not, and has happend on 8.04.02 server, jeos-8.04.02. I ran md5 on the ISOs and they're fine.

Has anyone experienced this? Has anyone installed Ubuntu Hardy on ESXi4? I'm attaching a pic of the problem I'm encountering.

Thanks,

Joe

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Rumple
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Esx 4 will not install on anything but a processor with vt as it is now a 64bit operating system.

I'm surprised esx4i actually installed

Sent on the TELUS Mobility network with BlackBerry

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
22 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Is it a 32 or 64 bit Ubuntu 8.04 LTS?

VMware-GSS,

VMware Communities User Moderator

0 Kudos
siliconvalleysy
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for replying,

These are 32bit. The reason for this is when I tried to install 64bit from the 64bit ISOs, the installers immediately failed, complaining this was a 64bit while the cpu detected was i686.

Joe

0 Kudos
Rumple
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Interesting...have you ensured VT is enabled in the BIOs (and you have shutdown and powered back up between changing setting if necessary.)

vSphere only works on newer 64bit CPU's so its obviously got the correct 64bit extension.

When creating the VM, did you specify 64bit as the configuration or accidentally pick 32bit?

0 Kudos
siliconvalleysy
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

This is my CPU on a Dell Optiplex 330: http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id=35348

It doesn't have VT, but it is 64bit and it was running VMware Server 2.0.1 until yesterday;)

I don't need a 64bit Ubuntu, but I can't install either 32 or 64 bit 8.04.2 it seems. When building the vm, I tried various combinations of Ubuntu 32/64 as well as other Linux 32/64

This worries me, because I have presently a ESX 3.02 install at work I'm wanting to upgrade to vSphere 4 on some Dell 2650 PowerEdges and I want to standardize on Ubuntu 8.04.04. I hope this doesn't postpone my upgrade plans.

Thanks,

Joe

0 Kudos
Rumple
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Esx 4 will not install on anything but a processor with vt as it is now a 64bit operating system.

I'm surprised esx4i actually installed

0 Kudos
siliconvalleysy
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Well, that seems to clear things up a bit. Is this the same as ESX? That is will I be able to upgrade my ESX 3.02 servers to vSphere 4, or am I SOL?

Thanks,

Joe

0 Kudos
Rumple
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

It is the same for esx4 (vsphere)

I would say with that dell 2650 you are sol

0 Kudos
siliconvalleysy
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks,

I appreciate the feedback. I did some RTFM and concluded as much. With all the buzz with the new vSphere, I think VMware has been a little soft in clearly specifying that vSphere has a very specific and significant hardware requirements. It's not just enough to talk about new features, but I'm digressing.

Thanks again,

Joe

0 Kudos
Rumple
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

well, I wouldn't say that this is anything new with vSphere...

ESX has always had VERY specific Hardware requirements. ESX 3.5 Added the requirement to have VT in the bios to have 64bit VM's so that has not changed.

About the only requirement change is that you need to have VT in the bios in order to run ESX now.

All that is covered by the HCL may or may not work (usually down to CPU model)

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

That's not true. ESX 4 does not require VT-x. VT-x is only necessary if you want to run 64-bit guests.

0 Kudos
Rumple
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Isn't the service console itself now 64bit? I assumes that since the vmkernel was 64bit they would have used a 64bit SC (and since its a VM now, hence the requirement for VT).

Not like I haven't been wrong before, but seems like good logic at the time 🐵

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

The console OS is now 64-bit, but it is not a VM.

0 Kudos
Rumple
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

They are running the Service console on the local vmfs volumes inside of a VMDK, but its not a VM?

In ESX 3.x it was a "specialized" VM (ie, after the kernel loaded the service console was virtualized in a sense...)

Guess its still a specialized type of VM that is 64bit, but doesn't require the VT component.

I also went back through the docs just as a refresher and it does state it only requires a 64bit capable CPU, but no mention of VT which does make sense, if the SC doesn;t follow the same rules as other 64bit guests.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

They are running the Service console on the local vmfs volumes inside of a VMDK, but its not a VM?

Correct.

In ESX 3.x it was a "specialized" VM (ie, after the kernel loaded the service console was virtualized in a sense...)

The ESX 4 console OS is virtualized in the same sense as the ESX 3.x console OS.

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

It also isn't just having a 64bit processor. There are some 64 bit that are not supported. Specifically some earlier AMD.

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator
0 Kudos
siliconvalleysy
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Good Day jmattson,

OK. I reread "Support for 64-Bit Guest Operating Systems" in the "ESXi Embedded and vCenter Server Setup Guide which states, regarding system requirements, the system requirements: "For Intel Xeon-based systems, the processors must include support for Intel Virtualization Technology (VT). Many servers that include CPUs with VT support might ship with VT disabled by default, so you must enable VT manually. If your CPUs support VT but you do not see this option in the BIOS, contact your vendor to request a BIOS version that lets you enable VT support. "

So it is VT only applies to 64 bit guest OS. So then back to my original problem, why are my 32 bit Ubuntu Hardy 8.04.02 installs blowing up? I downloaded 32bit Debian 5 and 32bit Centos 5.3 last night, but I haven't installed them yet. Is there any explanation why my installs blow up?

Thanks,

Joe

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Are there any clues in /var/log/syslog or on virtual console 4, as indicated on the screenshot you posted?

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I would download the CPU vaildator CD or look through the HCL for your hardware. Each piece of your hardware. There are relatively strict requirements. It is not just about CPU. ESXi is meant as a server platform and while and your processor might be 64bit, it and the motherboard chipset are nonetheless meant for a desktop system.

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator
0 Kudos
zorrek
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Did you ever fix the i686 CPU issue. I have ESXi4 installed an an ACER ALTOS 320 server I have accquired, it's currently running Server 2003 32 bit standard fine

I went to install Ubu 8.04 64bit and I get the "i need a x64 CPU and you only got an i686" message from Ubu.

If I reboot with Ubu 8.04 desktop cd. It will boot into Ubu live 64 without a question.

Any help would be appreciated.

I seriously hate the fact that I have to manage ESXi from a Windoze box and for Small SBS2003 installs and the like, I see no real world perfomance gain between ESXi and a minimal Ubu server install running VMWare Server.

There are serious benifits for the latter also, software RAID on the host in nice and I currently use POSTFIX on the HOST Ubu server to filter e-mail and pass it on to the SBS2003 exchange server on the Guest. And best of all

I can manage it from my Linux Desktop. Anyway I digress any help with the i686 issue is welcome.

0 Kudos