VMware Cloud Community
olympia5r5
Contributor
Contributor

Cannot find driver for Intel® Ethernet Controller i225-V to install esxi7.0U2a on NUC11PAHi5

Is there any driver for "Intel® Ethernet Controller i225-V" to install esxi7.0U2a on NUC11PAHi5 ?

i managed to create customized iso from the following but still detect "no network adapter" during installation

VMware-ESXi-7.0U2a-17867351-depot.zip

Net-Community-Driver_1.2.0.0-1vmw.700.1.0.15843807_18028830.zip

Please kindly advise

11 Replies
olympia5r5
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, just for sharing. i managed to install and setup the Esxi. But noticed this behaviour,  not sure is it due to the network adapter driver. i cannot find the network adapter driver for Intel i225-V on Esxi. i was using "net-community" and always need to reboot NUC twice to use it.

Below is the scripts to create iso:

Add-EsxSoftwareDepot C:\nuc-esxi\VMware-ESXi-7.0U3-18644231-depot.zip
Add-EsxSoftwareDepot C:\nuc-esxi\Net-Community-Driver_1.2.0.0-1vmw.700.1.0.15843807_18028830.zip

New-EsxImageProfile -CloneProfile "ESXi-7.0U3-18644231-standard" -name "ESXi-7.0U3-18644231-NUC" -Vendor "native"

Add-EsxSoftwarePackage -ImageProfile "ESXi-7.0U3-18644231-NUC" -SoftwarePackage "net-community"

Export-ESXImageProfile -ImageProfile "ESXi-7.0U3-18644231-NUC" -ExportToISO -filepath C:\nuc-esxi\ESXi-7.0U3-18644231-NUC.iso -NoSignatureCheck

ahafiz89
Contributor
Contributor

I have the same issue. Using the same script and driver. 

My solution is to sideload the USB fling driver + the “net-community” driver. Plug in the USB ethernet adapter on my NUC, and it detected both of my network adapter. 

If i restart and remove the USB ethernet, the network card is not detected as well unless if i plug in back the USB ethernet adapter., both are visible from the esxi console. Weird bug or issue. 

0 Kudos
Rivolity
Contributor
Contributor

I have used a tool called "ESXi-Customizer-v2.7.2" to create a custom Image of esxi latest version 7.0U3g, and until now i have no problem.
I will try to implement complex scenarios to check if I will lose the NIC.
you can reply on the same message if you need more help on how to use the tool.

Rivolity_0-1664902687087.png

0 Kudos
margaridabrito
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

I want to buy a NUC and I also want to avoid networkcards without vmware drivers.

I've check in https://www.vmware.com/resources/compatibility/search.php?deviceCategory=io&details=1&partner=46&dev...

and I notice that ESXi version8 has a driver for i225-V networkcard.

Did you try to install this version?

Please give the feedback.

Thank you in advance,

MBrito

0 Kudos
Rivolity
Contributor
Contributor

It has been released two days ago, so no, I did not give it a try.
It worked well with the custom image that i've set with ESXI 7.0 update 2a.
But I've encountered a problem with my SAS controller H310 DELL, that is no longer supported by ESXI > 6.7, and I had no attention to buy a new one just to support the new product, so I've changed the solution to Proxmox since it support every HBA.

I'I'm using the HBA controller to pass through the hypervisor to my TrueNas VM to the 4HDD.

You can use the esxi 8.0 or even the 7.0 custom image, it all depends on all your hardwares.

0 Kudos
Mozes34
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

I have test with VMWare 8 and It dos'nt work.

lspci
0000:00:1f.6 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation Ethernet Connection (17) I219-V
0000:01:00.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation Ethernet Controller I225-V

When I Check in 

esxcli software vib list

cndi-igc 1.2.9.0-1vmw.800.1.0.20513097 VMW VMwareCertified 2023-01-23

Can you help us ? 

0 Kudos
maksym007
Expert
Expert

Is it onboard card? What about the firmware or bios version? 

0 Kudos
Rivolity
Contributor
Contributor

I have used a customized image to install the driver of that image, the driver was developed by community, you can find it here, https://williamlam.com/2021/10/community-networking-driver-for-esxi-fling-v1-2-2.html
the video to customize the image will be here, don't forget that you need to use this tool "ESXi-Customizer-v2.7.2", https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vLLxqre1uHY

0 Kudos
Mozes34
Contributor
Contributor

Hello, Thanks you for Your help. I test that and I'll get back to you

0 Kudos
btechit
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

any update?  Also have you looked for system bios and NIC firmware updates for the i225-v?  and enabled all VM options in system bios?
https://www.vmware.com/resources/compatibility/vcl/result.php?search=i225&searchCategory=all&%26lpos...

"About Intel® drivers

If you purchased an OEM branded server or appliance, contact your OEM for a SW driver version that is compatible with your exact FW version. Using SW and FW versions that have not been validated to work together will affect performance, feature availability, and system stability."

0 Kudos
kotsh23
Contributor
Contributor

how to download the driver please 

0 Kudos