VMware Cloud Community
MattCareyOmaha
Contributor
Contributor

Cannot download ISO's from datastore

This is an odd one that I have not ran accross before. When browsing the datastore that contains all of our ISO files, some I am able to download and others I am not. For the ones that I am not able to, I get the error:

"Expected put message. Got:ERROR"

An ISO file is created in the desired download location, but of course it is 0 bytes.

I have also tried to download the same file using WinSCP. The erorr I recieve from this is:

"General failure (server should provide error description)

Error code: 4

Error message from server: Failure

Request code: 3"

Not exactly helpful. I did some digging about the error code 4 from the WinSCP documentation, and they listed a few possible reasons for this, but none of them are true in this case.

I have checked the permissions on two seperate files in the same directory, one of which I can download and one of which I can not. The permissions are the same on both, 0666.

If I upload a new .ISO, I am able to turn around and download it again right away.

Any ideas? Or any ideas on log files that I can dig into on the host(s) to see more of why it's failing?

0 Kudos
8 Replies
MattCareyOmaha
Contributor
Contributor

I suppose it would help to throw in there that all of the hosts are ESXi 5.0 build  702118, connecting via fiber to an EMC SAN.

0 Kudos
MartinAmaro
Expert
Expert

Have you tried to enable trivia logging in vCenter to further troubleshoot? KB 1001584

Enabling trivia logging in vCenter Server

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&docTypeID=DT_KB_1_1&e...

Also have you identified if the ISO is attached to a VM? If it is then can you remove it and try to download it?

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful.
0 Kudos
MattCareyOmaha
Contributor
Contributor

Just enabled trivia logging, but I am not able to restart the services on the VCenter server right now.

Looking at the logs, it does apear that even in the few minutes after I made the change without restarting the services, it appears to be logging more, but maybe that is just wishful thinking on my part.

I assume I would be looking in the VPXD log for errors when trying the download again?

Also, this particular ISO I'm trying to download is not mounted to any VM's currently.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Only a thought. Are those ISO files - which you are unable to access - in use by any VMs?

Unless you already have it, you may find RVTools very helpful to get an overview.

André

0 Kudos
TotalDisarray
Contributor
Contributor

Matt,

You ever get a resolution for this?  I'm having the exact issue.

0 Kudos
zXi_Gamer
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

One common mistake I used to do everytime with WinSCP is that I just enter the IP address, username and password.. However, the default option in Winscp would be SFTP and not SCP. I hope that you have selected SCP in Winscp.

And of course, try to disable the firewall and enable it after copying the file.

esxcli network firewall unload

0 Kudos
TotalDisarray
Contributor
Contributor

I went through and checked all (62, ugh) my VMs attached to that datastore and it turns out the iso was mounted to one of them.  Of course it wasn't towards the end until I found it.

0 Kudos
MartinAmaro
Expert
Expert

I'm glad you found it, now you can award the points j/k lol 😛

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful.
0 Kudos