VMware Cloud Community
mchan49
Contributor
Contributor

Cannot detect Dell quad port NIC card in ESXi 5.1

I recently installed VMware ESXi 5.1 on an HP Proliant server with a Dell NIC (DELL - PRO/1000 VT QUAD PORT SERVER ADAPTER LP). After installation, I was not able to see the NIC card in VMware. I downgraded to VMware 4.0 and I was able to see it. Is there some drivers that I need to install for the NIC?

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

0 Kudos
mchan49
Contributor
Contributor

Tried using the latest igb driver, but still no luck.

0 Kudos
mchan49
Contributor
Contributor

I realized that the dell card that I'm using uses Intel 1 Gigabit 82576 chip, but I can't find a driver that supports that chip in ESXi 5.x. I can only find 82580. Is there a driver that supports Intel's 82576 that works on ESXi5.1?

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Unfortunately a quick search did not return any results. Maybe placing the NIC in another slot can help (see Re: Intel 82576 (E1G42ET) Not Working on ESXi 5?)!? If this doesn't help either and you are using the host for production, it may be worth purchasing a supported NIC. Using an unsupported NIC - even if you find any currently working drivers - is like playing Russian Roulette, because each update/patch could cause outage.

André

0 Kudos
mchan49
Contributor
Contributor

Looks like VMware don't support Intel 82576 chip anymore. I looked around and installed all the possible drivers, but none of them worked.

0 Kudos
kbulgrien4freed
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

The igb driver is prone to experience an issue related to NVM checksum.  Check /var/log/vmkernel.log for messages containing:

igb 0000:0a:00.0: The NVM Checksum Is Not Valid

If the NVM issue exists, you might look here for information on using a manufacturer utility to fix the NVM issue:

Re: Intel I350 NIC not working on ESXi 6.0 build-2715440

Not saying this is relevant, but it might be as it could make you think a driver isn't working when it would if an underlying issue was corrected.

0 Kudos