Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Cannot create a quiesced snapshot

Hi all,

Environment:

Fat ESX4.1U2

Dell Equallogic SAN

Datastores: 500Gb on 1MB block size

Bit of an issue to backup (Symantec BE 2010 R3) and replication to DR site (Veeam 6.5). (Our DR provider leases Veeam for replication, hence the 2 vendors in the equation).

VM: Windows Server 2008 R2 (SQL box)

vmdks:

vmdk1 (thin): 40Gb - DS1

vmdk2 (thin): 200Gb - DS1

vmdk3 (thick): 256Gb - DS2

vmdk4 (thick): 112Gb - DS3

vmdk5 (thick): 80Gb - DS4

vmdk6 (thin): 180Gb - DS1

vmdk7 (thin): 100Gb - DS4

We are getting now the following message when trying to backup or replicate VM - vpxa log: "Cannot create a quiesced snapshot because the create snapshot operation exceeded the time limit for holding off I/O in the frozen virtual machine."

Is this because datastore DS2 cannot cope with the size of the snapshot???? Just want to understand this instead of increasing the datastore size.

Forgot to mention that there are no tasks attached to this VM:

[root@HOST VM1]# vmware-vim-cmd vmsvc/get.tasklist 400

(ManagedObjectReference) []

Comments are appreciated.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
JCMorrissey
Expert
Expert

Hi,

Have you checked out: http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=101819... - i/o related perhaps?

regards

Please consider marking as "helpful", if you find this post useful. Thanks!... http://johncmorrissey.wordpress.com/
0 Kudos
ch1ta
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

What type of quiescence is being used by Veeam? VMware Tools quiescence or application aware image processing?  I wonder since under certain circumstance VMware Tools quiescence might cause this sort of issues with snapshot creation and it’s always preferable to utilize AAIP, instead; especially, taking into account that this VM is SQL server.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
rb51
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

AS fair as I know (our provider manages the Veeam side) it is Veeam VSS provider.

Problem is that we also have issues when using our Symantec Backup Exec 2010 R3 and I have even tried a "test" VM snapshot within vcenter (with quiescing) and it fails.

I  logged a ticket with VMware this morning.

0 Kudos