VMware Cloud Community
Tracyp
Contributor
Contributor

Cannot create Virtual Disk larger than 512gb even with 8mb block size

Hi all.

I have a bit of a problem

I have just added a new datastore to our IBM blade S.

I have set it up within vSphere as a datastore (1.5tb) with a block size of 8mb however when I go to one of our windows virtual servers (MS server 2003) and try to add another disk it only lets me create a 512gb disk whereas I want to set up a 1tb disk.

What could be causing this??

thanks

Tracy

0 Kudos
5 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Only a thought. Is the base folder of this virtual disk located on a 2MB datastore?

André

0 Kudos
Tracyp
Contributor
Contributor

Yes it is, 2mb... which will be the problem won't it??

rats! not much I can do about that now though

Tracy

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

I just checked this on my test system. When you create the new virtual disk, select the datastore ("Location" -> "Specify a datastore") before you enter the size. You will receive a warning regarding snapshots after you click "Next", but the new virtual disk will be created.

Caution: You will not be able to take snapshots for the VM anymore with adding a virtual disk larger than the supported maximum of the base folder, except you modify the "workingDir" in the VM's configuration file.

André

0 Kudos
Tracyp
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks Andre Smiley Happy

"except you modify the "workingDir" in the VM's configuration file."  how would I do that? This is our main file server so I do want to be able to take snapshots when needed.

thanks

Tracy

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Please take a look at http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1002929 for how to set the workingDir. Caution: Ensure your backup software supports this setting! If this does not solve the issue, you may relocate the VM's base folder to an 8MB datastore.

Btw. for maximum virtual disk sizes in order to be able to take snapshots, please see "Calculating the overhead required by snapshot files" at http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1012384

André

0 Kudos