VMware Cloud Community
ciaranp
Contributor
Contributor

Cannot connect to a Freenas NFS share from Esxi 5.5

Hi,

I am having issues connecting to a NFS share that I created on Free nas.I will go through the steps I have done and hopefully somebody will be able to help me out and spot what I'm doing wrong.I am a newbie to virtualization and storage and I am using a homelab setup to learn it, I have a poweredge server running esxi off a usb, and I am using a laptop as a freenas server, both are connected to a switch.

I import the the volume using ZFS volume manager, set the permissions to read /write,create the NFS share-

I set the share permissions using mapall (instead of maproot) user/group to root/wheel  as I read that this is the same as using the no_root_squash options.

I created a system dataset pool to the same volume.

I have created a VMkernel port .

I can create a windows share and connect to it from an esxi host, I can also ping from the esxi host.

I have allowed NFS in the outgoing connections of the firewall and have turned on the NFS service.

The error message is in the screenshots below.

Any help would be much appreciated.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
schepp
Leadership
Leadership

Hi,

why does your picture 13nfsconfiguration.PNG13nfsconfiguration.PNG  say you export /mnt/volume/share and you try to mount /mnt/volume ?

Tim

0 Kudos
rh5592
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Try setting the NFS export to  no_root_squash. I have a feeling its the one causing it. You may check this KB article: VMware KB: Unable to mount NFS datastore

Regards. ================================================= "If found useful, kindly mark answers Correct or Helpful " http://rh5592.com =================================================
0 Kudos
ciaranp
Contributor
Contributor

I tried creating a share folder after and didn't realise I took screenshots of 2 different paths, here are screenshots with the share folder.17.PNG

0 Kudos
ciaranp
Contributor
Contributor

18.PNG

Does this configuration look ok? If so, silly question, but how do I save this, when I exit the session its not there when I go back into it?

0 Kudos
rh5592
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I mostly configure Freenas from its GUI. Here is my config which is working fine:

Screen Shot 2014-07-01 at 10.04.41 PM.png

Regards. ================================================= "If found useful, kindly mark answers Correct or Helpful " http://rh5592.com =================================================
0 Kudos
ciaranp
Contributor
Contributor

I found how to save, and entered 2nd lind in the screenshot, still no joy.19.PNG

0 Kudos
russ79
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

use UFS, not ZFS... took me 6 hours to figure this out

0 Kudos