VMware Cloud Community
ElPadstar
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Cannot connect to VSphere server

Hi,

I have installed ESXI5.5 build 1331820 on a Dell R610 I have managed to build two servers on to it, and I can connect the the servers; I can ping the ESXI host, but I cannot log on to the web portal for it, neither can I log in to it using the VSphere client, I get the following Error:

vSphere Client could not connect to "IP ADDRESS".

An unknown connection error occurred.

(The request failed because of a connection failure.

(Unable to connect to the remote server))

I have another VMHost running the same build and I can connect to it no problem.

Very confusing.

Any help appreciated.

Ta

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ElPadstar
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

OK, so I had a DUmbA$$ moment.

Had the IP of the VMHost set as static, but not outwith the usable scope, so it was getting taken up by another client.  Set the IP in to the exclusion range and all is working perfectly.

Thanks for the help Ben.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
BenLiebowitz
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

This sounds like a network issue to me. Have you logged into the console and confirmed the ip/mask/gateway and if necessary, vlan tag are correct?

Have you run the network test from the host? Have you restarted the management network? What about the management agents?

Ben Liebowitz, VCP vExpert 2015, 2016, & 2017 If you found my post helpful, please mark it as helpful or answered to award points.
0 Kudos
ElPadstar
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi Ben,

thanks for getting back to me. It certainly does seem to be a Network issue, I have restarted the Management network, I have logged on to the Host and all of the network settings seem to be fine. I was logging on to the host yesterday with out an issue. nothing has changed.

I will try restarting the management agents also and see if this gives me any success.

Cheers

0 Kudos
ElPadstar
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

OK, restarted Management Agents, no change.

Can ping the default GW and the DNS server from the host. All the IP settings are correct.

I am using the free license, could this be an issue with having the same free license key installed to two hosts?

0 Kudos
BenLiebowitz
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

That should not prevent you from connecting with the vSphere Client.  If you go to https://IPAddress do you get the server's webpage where you can download the vSphere Client, etc? 

Perhaps a firewall rule was changed on the host? 

Ben Liebowitz, VCP vExpert 2015, 2016, & 2017 If you found my post helpful, please mark it as helpful or answered to award points.
0 Kudos
ElPadstar
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Been trying the Http://IP address but No luck.

IS it possible to rebuild the ESXI host with out killing my datastore and thus my VM's that have been built on to it?

0 Kudos
ElPadstar
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

OK, so I had a DUmbA$$ moment.

Had the IP of the VMHost set as static, but not outwith the usable scope, so it was getting taken up by another client.  Set the IP in to the exclusion range and all is working perfectly.

Thanks for the help Ben.

0 Kudos
BenLiebowitz
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Glad you figured it out.

0 Kudos