VMware Cloud Community
SoLuckyNoob
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Cannot complete login due to an incorrect username or password

Hello. I have strange problem. I am newbie with VMware products. I installed ESXi 6.0 on HP proliant 180 gen9.

After that i used convertor stand alone to migrate linux server. Everething was fine, everything works. But the next problem emerges after couple of time - when i trying to remotely connect to ESXi it say to me "Can not complete login due to an incorrect username or password." It does not matter how I connect through Vsphere Client, via ssh, or simply click on the link "Browse datastores in this host's inventory" in browser. Moreover. I can login with same login\password use keyboard usb connected to server.   Changing password does nothing. It helps only a reset to default. Then again, it begins to start up, and from anywhere.  Somewhere I read that the problem occurs if the set dns and host name on ESXi, i do not set up DNS so that only the host name. Another problem not defined RAID controller, but I do not think it is interconnected, maybe I'm wrong? I would welcome any ideas and help.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
SoLuckyNoob
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi. Ty for answer. Problem solved. I started use same keyboard option as ESXi server. After switching from U.S. default to U.S. int problem was solve. I don't know why it work with U.S. default for some day before.

View solution in original post

14 Replies
npadmani
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

worth checking keyboard layout settings of your ESXi host and keyboard layout of our client machine from where you are trying to login.

has there been any changes in this setting at one of the place.

since you said connecting keyboard locally with the esxi host works but when you try in vi client or web client or even web based browse datastore and it's not working so I am suggesting this.

Narendra Padmani VCIX6-DCV | VCIX7-CMA | VCI | TOGAF 9 Certified
0 Kudos
SoLuckyNoob
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Ty for answer, but it work for some time, few days and i change nothing. And after restore to defaults it work for some time again. I tried change u.s. default to eng with no result.

0 Kudos
jagdish_rana
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi There,

Are you trying to login with root user or it's integrated to Active directory?

0 Kudos
SoLuckyNoob
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi. Ty for answer. Problem solved. I started use same keyboard option as ESXi server. After switching from U.S. default to U.S. int problem was solve. I don't know why it work with U.S. default for some day before.

LaminarCS
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I am having the same problem but switching the keyboard layout doesn't help.

I am able to login fine on the console (thank god for IPMI) and reset the management network, then my username and login will work for awhile and then quit working again ... so I have to then IPMI back the the console and repeat the whole process over again.

0 Kudos
SoLuckyNoob
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Did you try change keyboard layout on ESXi server? Try for example english(UK) or smth else.

jagdish_rana
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi,

Thanks for an update.

0 Kudos
LaminarCS
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I originally had the VMWare server exposed to the world temporarily during setup.  When I turned the firewall back on, the problem suddenly stopped happening.

I wonder if there wasn't a script trying to brute force something that was causing ESXi to disable the ability to login, either way with the firewall back on we aren't experiencing the issue.

0 Kudos
horizuser
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Solution:

1) Login to ESXi Direct Console Interface (DCUI) with "root" account.

2) Press "F2", go to "Troubleshooting Options".
3) Enable "ESXi Shell" using "Enable ESXi Shell" Option and go back to main menu.
4) Press "CTRL+ALT+F1" to switch to "ESXi Shell"
5) Type Command "pam_tally2 --user root" to view total failed login attempt from root. 
from below example, There are 14 failed login attempt.

horizuser_0-1648560531965.jpeg

6) Type Command "pam_tally2 --user root --reset" to reset the lock.

horizuser_1-1648560531967.jpeg

7) Now we will be able to login to ESXi via vSPhere Client or web client.

ESXi events showing the failed login attempts and "root" locked events.

horizuser_2-1648560531975.jpeg

Prevent The Account Lock Again

1. Login to ESXi via SSH (Enable SSH from ESXi settings if SSH not enabled)

2)  type Command "tail -100 /var/log/auth.log" to view last 100 events on auth.log
3) The result showing the source IP from where the failed login attempt is originated, In below example, the IP is "192.168.111.1"

2019-09-03T13:09:57Z sshd[2101425]: pam_unix(sshd:auth): authentication failure; logname= uid=0 euid=0 tty=ssh ruser= rhost=192.168.111.1  user=root
2019-09-03T13:09:59Z sshd[2101419]: error: PAM: Authentication failure for root from 192.168.111.1
2019-09-03T13:09:59Z sshd[2101419]: Failed keyboard-interactive/pam for root from 192.168.111.1 port 64744 ssh2
2019-09-03T13:09:59Z sshd[2101426]: pam_tally2(sshd:auth): user root (0) tally 6, deny 5

4. Identify the source machine and resolve the reason of multiple login attempt. 
Example: 
If the source IP is for backup software, reconfigure backup with latest ESXi Credentials.
Romano_Migs1999
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

This fixed my issue thanks a million.

0 Kudos
D_G_Tal
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

your problem occurred because of failed login attempt from root.  it could be for monitoring tools and try with wrong password.  

andysantosh
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi, I am facing same issue , I am using AD integrated account. Do you have any solution ?

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

The solution has been posted about 7 years ago (see above). 😉

If it doesn't solve your issue too, then please open a new discussion, with details about your environment (hardware, ESXi version, etc.).

André

freekays1910
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

code error in web login panel

panel bridge code

Tags (1)
0 Kudos