VMware Cloud Community
naaath22
Contributor
Contributor

Cannot complete login due to an incorrect user name or password

Hello,

I've started to have some issues with our ESXi server, I try logging into our vSphere client and we are presented with "Cannot complete login due to an incorrect user name or password"... But if I go to the machine and login with console the password is correct, I've even tried changing the password and still no luck.

In the future i've done a rescan - esxcli storage core adapter rescan --all , This solved the issue but it doesn't seem to be doing anything now.

We've not touched any username and password credentials on the server, We are still using the root login details. The only thing we do is add and remove machines when its needed which puzzles me why the vSphere is saying incorrect password all of a sudden?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
npadmani
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

is this ESXi 6.0? it has account locking policy after about 10 invalid attempts.

please look into hostd.log for more information or upload that log file here please.

Narendra Padmani VCIX6-DCV | VCIX7-CMA | VCI | TOGAF 9 Certified
0 Kudos
naaath22
Contributor
Contributor

The log file is large and with only a KVM console i'm limited on what I can do, I can't SSH into the server because it says incorrect credentials.

Is there something I should be looking for? My server is open to Internet, I might need to lock it down to only my IP address?

0 Kudos
kastlr
Expert
Expert

Hi,

to which system you want to connect using the vSphere client, an ESXi or the vCenter Server.

In any case it's vital that your DNS is setup properly including reverse lookup.

And take also care that the host where the vSphere Client is installed will use a DNS server that could resolve the hostnames.

When I remember correctly I did receive the same error when using the FQDN while it does work when using the ipaddress.

Hope this helps,

Ralf

Hope this helps a bit.
Greetings from Germany. (CEST)
0 Kudos
npadmani
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Since your ESXi host is internet facing, and your SSH shell is enabled, there's a good chance that 'root' access is being tried repeatedly.

in hostd.log if you try to look for entries like

Remote access for ESXi local user account 'root' has been locked for 120 seconds after ## failed login attempts.

0 Kudos
naaath22
Contributor
Contributor

Is there a temporary solution to disable the lock for the times i'm trying to login?

0 Kudos
npadmani
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Lock itself is temporary, it will last for 120 minutes and account will be unlocked again.

But the thing is, if your ESXi host still remains exposed to insecure public network then chances of your root account getting locked are very high. Just within next few seconds you might find account got locked again.

Please refer following URLs, see if those are helpful.

vSphere 6.0 Documentation Center

VMware Front Experience: Watch out: ESXi 6.0 introduces root account lockout!

0 Kudos