VMware Cloud Community
iliavin
Contributor
Contributor

Cannot boot vSphere ESXi 5.0/5.1 server from HDD

Hi,

I just installed a new ESXi server (2 cores CPU, 2x1 TBytes disks). The installation was done in the version 5.0 (because I needed to convert previously existing VMware Server 2.0 machines) and than upgraded to the version 5.1.

Neither in 5.0 nor in 5.1 the server cannot boot from HDD ("Please insert bootable device..." after about half a minute). I need to boot from CD and than to select "Boot from local disk" option.

I hope there is an option to configure boot from HDD normally. Any suggestions haow to do this in vSphere ESXi 5.1 server?

Thanks in advance,

Ilia

0 Kudos
5 Replies
vmroyale
Immortal
Immortal

Is your server on the VMware HCL?

Brian Atkinson | vExpert | VMTN Moderator | Author of "VCP5-DCV VMware Certified Professional-Data Center Virtualization on vSphere 5.5 Study Guide: VCP-550" | @vmroyale | http://vmroyale.com
0 Kudos
iliavin
Contributor
Contributor

It's not a brand machine. We used this PC for 2-3 years to serve as VMware Server 2.0 host with a dozen of VMs used to debug our server installation on different platforms (different versions of Linux and Windows). Last time it turned to be unstable and we decided to port all this stuff to vSphere ESXi because recently we purchased a license for vSphere ESXi.

Installation succeeded, all VMs have been ported to it. That only problem is that it needs the installation CD to be withing DVD drive and operator must be near the machine during boot process.

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

try to re-install using “formatwithmbr”
see
http://wp.secretnest.info/?p=697

0 Kudos
iliavin
Contributor
Contributor

Re-installation was not an acceptable option because all VMs already have been cloned to the new machine.

But I found that when I enabled the UEFI boot in BIOS settings it solved the problem and now this machine can boot normally from the disk.

THanks for your assistance,

Ilia

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

> Re-installation was not an acceptable option because all VMs already have been cloned to the new machine.

That would have been no problem

0 Kudos