VMware Cloud Community
w0ls0n
Contributor
Contributor

Cannot boot but can off cd to hdd

I have been working on an issue now for a little over a week and I need some expert advise. The PC I am using now used to be my production server and it ran esxi 5.0 since about late last year. It it now my test box. About 4 weeks ago I started running Windows 2008 R2 server on it exclusively to test our new Accouting system and decided last week to install ESXi 5.0 from CD. The CD would install without a hitch. At the end it would pop out the cd and  reboot. The PC would reboot and after about 40 seconds it would say "Please insert bootable device - press any key when ready". I went into the BIOS initially and changed the Hard Drive (The only one installed) to be the first device. I got the same error as before. Here is what I have done to troubleshoot this:

I have tried:

1) Installing another hard drive

2) Resetting the BIOS

3) Flashing the BIOS to the latest update (Downgrading now fails)

4) Turning on or off UFCI

5) Turning on or off Hardware Virtualization (This does need to be turned on and it is now)

6) Other SATA ports on the motherboard

7) Wiping Track 0 using Samsung Ontrac Disk Manager. I have also done this with sysutils from kernel.org

😎 Reloading ESXi more than 10 times

Here is where things get interesting; I put in Hiren's Boot cd before I left work that day and shut the machine off. I went into work the next morning and turned the machine on and went about my business as usual. When I looked at the screen it had loaded ESXi 5. I was like "odd, I had problems with this earlier for a week and all of a sudden it's working?" I installed Windows 2008 Server R2 on a new vm and I was getting some windows update error (Time related). I took the CD out and rebooted the entire box. I got the same error as I did before; "Please insert bootable device - press any key when ready". I put the Hiren's cd back in and there is a menu when the pc boots the cd:

----------------------------------------------

Boot from Local Hard Drive

CD Menu

Load Mini Windows XP

----------------------------------------------

The motherboard is an Intel BOXDP35DPM

CPU is Q9550 Core 2 Quad 2.5

Ram is 8GB Corsair

1TB Samsung 1TB HD

Video is a NVIDIA 85xx

The only Network device that I have is a Rosewill card which has worked before in production. The one on the board is not recognized by ESXi 4.x or 5.x

I think I may have hosed the BIOS possibly since it won't boot up off the hard drive?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

Welcome to the VMware Communities forums.

Just to clarify is it a single disk that you have in the system?  If two, do you have a RAID array setup?

If not, you might boot with a gparted live CD and wipe the HD.

0 Kudos
w0ls0n
Contributor
Contributor

I have actually drive a different hard drive and I am gettign the same result as the original drive that was in there.

0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

Are you able to try ESXi 4.1 or do you have a flash drive to try?

0 Kudos
w0ls0n
Contributor
Contributor

I downloaded the ESXi 4.1 installer and the thing got past the 2nd option before it bombed. I do not recall what it said. I can test it again on another drive tomorrow.

0 Kudos