VMware Cloud Community
tandonhat
Contributor
Contributor

Cannot allocate all memory

Hello,

I am having this problem just this morning:

I installed ESXi 5.1 on a host machine which has 4GB of memory. The host console screen indicated 4GiB of memory after installation

But when I use vSphere client to deploy VMs on it, it shows Total capacity of the host as < 2GB of memory. As a result, I can't power on a 3GB RAM VM

Please, somebody help?

Thanks a lot

PS: I have attached some screenshots for your convenience

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
lvaibhavt
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

From the snapshot you have attached >> seems like there is a reservation ....

When you go to VM >> edit settings >>> options >>> make sure that there is no reservation and no limit on it for RAM n CPU

then try powering on the VM

0 Kudos
tandonhat
Contributor
Contributor

I checked and nothing seems wrong

Anyway, I did a little search and found out that ESXi uses some kind of memory overhead itself, which consumes about 1.3GB of the host hardware, is that correct? (It does seem likely, because the amount I have left is 1.8 GB, which is approximately 4 - 1.3 GB)

If yes, then that's so sad, because in lab environment I can't afford high end servers with big RAM, and that 1.3GB really a lot of "wasted" RAM. Is there a way to minimize that number?

0 Kudos
lvaibhavt
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I dont think so that it has a memory overhead of 1.3GB ....

i did google it up but overhead of 1.3gb -- I dont think so

0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

0 Kudos
tandonhat
Contributor
Contributor

Actually the information is not somewhere else but in this very forum. Check this topic out

http://communities.vmware.com/message/1398154#1398154

But if that's the case, then everyone must have experienced it, right? lvaibhavt, can you post your stats? Specifically your physical capacity and your "Total capacity" shown in the Resource allocation tab of the host machine? Thanks

0 Kudos
lvaibhavt
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Sure -- gimme sometime and I will let you know about it 

0 Kudos