VMware Cloud Community
bagoboi
Contributor
Contributor

Cannot add new iSCSI LUNs

Hi

Just noticed that I cannot add new iscsi volumes to my esxi hosts. I have one host running esxi 4.0 and that is able to see the new volume once I do a rescan on the initiator. I also have two more hosts running 4.1 and they are having the issue. When I do a select "disk/lun"  the window is empty. I thought it might have been because I enabled jumbo frames on the network and couldn't ping the SAN using mtu of that size.... but that isn't the case. Have no clue why this is happening. Any guidelines as to where to start would be greatly appreciated. I even enabled syslogging but can't/don't see anything that jumps out me

Thank you

0 Kudos
4 Replies
bagoboi
Contributor
Contributor

So I observed that if I go to the iscsi software adapter settings, the new LUN shows under the 'Static discovery' tab. But go to add new Storage option and select 'Disk/Lun' and hit next..... I don't see the LUN.....what gives?

0 Kudos
PaulusG
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

A good starting point for troubleshooting iSCSI storage is VMware KB 1008083.

Some extra information (thanks to David Davis from Trainsignal)

- Investigate the error logs of you iSCSI SAN

- iSCSI messages are in /var/log/vmkiscsid.log (ESX) and /var/log/messages (ESXi)

- iSCSI inititator config files are in /etc/vmware/vmkiscsid (ESX and ESXi)

- Tools to use: vmkping, vmkiscsi-tool and esxcfg-swiscs

Good luck.

Paul Grevink Twitter: @PaulGrevink http://twitter.com/PaulGrevink If you find this information useful, please consider awarding points for "correct" or "helpful".
ScottK74
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Try checking the settings on the switch and the nice related to it. I had an issue once where a clan was wrong on the iscsi nic.

C. Scott Kinney

Systems Administrator

Town of Westford

Technology Department

Office 978-399-2413

Mobile 508-740-1550

0 Kudos
bagoboi
Contributor
Contributor

Figured out what was going on. I forgot that I had a setup ACLs on the LUNs. Some some access denied messages in messages log file when doing rescanning of HBAs. Once I removed the ACL I was all good. Thanks for the replies!

0 Kudos