VMware Cloud Community
techsuresh
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Cannot add a host with host name in VC

Hi all,

Good Day.

I just finished installation of 2 esx4.0 servers, Vartual Center Server and Domain controller server in my test lab in my home. i added esx server host records in to DNS as well. then i tried adding hosts in to VC using host name, then I am getting error like

"cannot contact the specified host(xxxxx). the host may not be available on the network, a network cofiguraion problem may exhist or the management services on this host may not be responding"

I have checked that all are pinging and no network configuration issues found. I am able to add a host using IP address but not with host name. I have checked the services in VC, all services are running fine. Earlier I never had this issue.

Please help me if any one has the solution.

Thanks in advance

Regards,

Suresh

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I would check out the KB article below under Additional Infromation

http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1027672

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I would check out the KB article below under Additional Infromation

http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1027672

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Even though you say DNS should be ok, please double check all settings.

• from the vCenter Server run "nslookup vc" and "nslookup esx42". Do these commands return the FQDN and the correct IP address?
  • on the ESX hosts (vSphere Client) make sure the network settings (Configuration -> DNS and Routing) contain the correct information (IP address, subnet mask, gateway, DNS domain, ...)
  • from the ESX host's console ping the hostname of the vCenter Server (short name and FQDN should resolve correctly)

André

satya1
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

TechSuresh wrote:

Hi all,

Good Day.

I just finished installation of 2 esx4.0 servers, Vartual Center Server and Domain controller server in my test lab in my home. i added esx server host records in to DNS as well. then i tried adding hosts in to VC using host name, then I am getting error like

"cannot contact the specified host(xxxxx). the host may not be available on the network, a network cofiguraion problem may exhist or the management services on this host may not be responding"

I have checked that all are pinging and no network configuration issues found. I am able to add a host using IP address but not with host name. I have checked the services in VC, all services are running fine. Earlier I never had this issue.

Please help me if any one has the solution.

Thanks in advance

Regards,

Suresh

Hi

seems name resolution problem or some firewall , antivirus blocking to access

for testing purpose can you add  ip in host file and change dns priprity

Yours,

Satya

techsuresh
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi,

Thanks to all for the quick responce. Now I am able to add using host name.

ThanQ

regards,

Suresh Smiley Happy

0 Kudos