ESXi

View Only
  • 1.  Cannot add USB controller to VM

Posted Jul 02, 2009 11:41 AM

We try to add a USB port to a VM's hardware under ESXi 4 (free): it gives us the option, says it can be added to this VM, shows it added to the list, but when I click the final "ok" we get this error in a pop-up (word for word):

"There are insufficient licenses to complete this operation.
    Feature hotplug not licensed, reqires need have have"

Yes, thats exactly how the second line reads. :smileyhappy:

• 2.  RE: Cannot add USB controller to VM
    Best Answer

Posted Jul 02, 2009 12:53 PM

In ESXi 4, you have to completely shut down the virtual machine before you can add the USB controller. It is a change from 3.5, which allowed you to "hotplug" hardware while the machine was still running.

Also, you probably won't be able to connect a USB device to a VM. I have yet to find someone who has gotten this to work with the free license and no extra software. There are USB to IP devices that have been suggested to use with ESXi. If anyone HAS gotten the USB passthrough to work on a vanilla ESXi box, pleas elet me know. It would be quite beneficial.

• 3.  RE: Cannot add USB controller to VM

Posted Jul 03, 2009 04:10 PM

I have encountered the very same problem today with my first P2V. Everything was hunky dory until I tried to add a USB port for a licence donglr.

Up pops the "needs have have" error...

After a bit of searching it appears USB controllers can be added (with the guest powered down) but a new line in the release notes rather helpfully states "USB devices are not supported."

Marvellous! :smileywink: