VMware Cloud Community
Simon_H
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Cannot access disk S.M.A.R.T data

I've just upgraded a whitebox lab server from 5.0U1 to 5.1U1 today with the hope of accessing S.M.A.R.T. data for some directly attached SSDs (no RAID card). Unfortunately all I get is:

# esxcli storage core device smart get -d "t10.ATA_____OCZ2DVERTEX4_____________________________OCZ2D<...etc...>"

Error getting Smart Parameters: CANNOT open device

I also tried running /sbin/smartd as per KB 2040405 but didn't see anything in syslog.log.

I realise this isn't a server on the offical HCL but I was optimistic the data would still be passed through - might be a BIOS/controller issue I suppose. Any ideas?

Simon

PS. mobo is ASRock Z77 Extreme (with Intel i7-3770)

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
zXi_Gamer
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Can you run

/usr/lib/vmware/vm-support/bin/smartinfo.sh

and tell us the output.

0 Kudos
Simon_H
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Sure - the devices show up (as they do with esxcli storage core device list) but don't seem to be able to be accessed:

~ # /usr/lib/vmware/vm-support/bin/smartinfo.sh

SMART Information for disks.

Device:  t10.ATA_____OCZ2DVERTEX4_____________________________OCZ2DI8J3EGQ7V45PXF4X

Errors:

Device:  mpx.vmhba32:C0:T0:L0

Errors:

Device:  t10.ATA_____M42DCT512M4SSD2__________________________000000001226090E75E5

Errors:

Device:  t10.ATA_____WDC_WD30EZRX2D00MMMB0_________________________WD2DWCAWZ2097700

Errors:

I have used a vendor's utility (for Crucial M4) in the past to update the disk and IIRC it had the S.M.A.R.T. data visible suggesting it's coming through the controller/BIOS - that might be the next thing to check though I suppose (when I can power down the host again). I thought I'd check here first to see whether others have had any success though, before wasting too much time on it, as it's a very new feature.

0 Kudos
zXi_Gamer
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I thought I'd check here first to see whether others have had any success though, before wasting too much time on it, as it's a very new feature.

Very true.

Device:  t10.ATA_____M42DCT512M4SSD2__________________________000000001226090E75E5

Does this look like the enclosure??

0 Kudos
zXi_Gamer
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Does this look like the enclosure??

Sorry... its not..

Let me check up with my server having a SSD RAID configurable setup..

0 Kudos
pollux386
Contributor
Contributor

Since this question is still not answered after a year, I am trying to add my solution when I had the same problem as you.

I have a AsRock970 Extreme4 motherboard for my ESXi box. Check the BIOS setting for storage. You will probably find a setting where you can enable or disable SMART.

I had the same output as you had for the smartinfo.sh script until I changed the BIOS settings.

I recall now that I turned this settings off in the BIOS due to all the warnings of exceeded temperature messages - when the smartd wasn't interpreting the values correctly for the WDC drives.

0 Kudos