VMware Cloud Community
MikeGIllinois
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Cannot See 1TB Sata Drive in VMWare ESXi 5.1

Hi.

I have an HP ML350 G6 server which currently has two RAID 1 arrays. The first array consists of two 300 GIG large form factor drives and the second array consists of two 450 GIG drives.

I just added a single SATA 1 TB drive to the server but I do not see it in my ESXi client. Is what I'm trying to do possible? Can I add a 1 TB drive to this mixture or do I maybe need to remove one of the arrays or put in a cache controller card? I am working on an ML350 G8 at home and I have three arrays on that but could not create the third array without a cache controller card for the P420i smart array controller. I'm wondering if that is the case here.

I'm attaching a screen shot of my storage and what I see when I try to add a datastore.

Am I missing something here?

Thank you for any help or comments. Smiley Happy

Mike Gallery

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Did you configure the new HDD on the RAID controller (e.g. as a JBOD), i.e. presenting it as a logical volume to ESXi?

André

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Did you configure the new HDD on the RAID controller (e.g. as a JBOD), i.e. presenting it as a logical volume to ESXi?

André

0 Kudos
MikeGIllinois
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

No, Andre', I didn't. I didn't think I needed to since I wasn't creating an array. Perhaps that was my mistake. I will look at that again.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
MikeGIllinois
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you, Andre', for your suggestion. You were right on the money. I didn't add the drive to the P420i array controller.

Mike Gallery

0 Kudos