VMware Cloud Community
PcPixel
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Can you run multiple independent copies of the same Windows machine in an ESXi environment?

I have no idea if this is the right area to post this question but after 10 minutes of trying to find it I'm throwing my hands up and posting here.

We are experiencing performance issues in our ESXi cluster and we have not been able to identify the source. I'm wondering if something we are doing is causing the issue:

We have an ERP system that is comprised of 6 servers. To facilitate development and testing environments, we have cloned the machines over to new copies and given them new IP addresses. For all practical purposes, these are all the same machine. Does doing this confuse VMWare at all, or will it be able to keep the copies all straight in its mind and allow everything to function as expected?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

There will be no issue with this from the VMware side.

André

0 Kudos
LittleOne
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

No problem, since you will have a new mac address and you said that you`re changing name and ip. On windows you should do a sysprep,

0 Kudos
PcPixel
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

My concern is stemming from a support ticket I have with Redgate. I've tied their software into ESXi to monitor server health. When I sent them the logs for their software, there were errors that they detected "multiple instances of server XXXX" and it didn't know which machine to track. So long as that issue is isolated to Redgate and not to VMWare itself, I'm ok.

0 Kudos
LittleOne
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Do you have agent`s installed on the vm's?

0 Kudos
PcPixel
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I don't believe so. The virtual systems are isolated from our production LAN so no traffic overlap or agent communication should be possible. I can work with IT to make sure all the agents are killed. 

0 Kudos