VMware Cloud Community
LMBalla
Contributor
Contributor

Can the vSphere Web client log in directly to a host?

I need to run some tests on an isolated network with one or two hosts. I have been using the vSphere client. I am using ESXi 5.5. However some of the things I have to do now require the vSphere Web Client. Can the vSphere Web client log directly into a host? I really don't need to do much so I don't really need vCenter Server for what I have to do.

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
rsoc
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

No, the web client is specific to vCenter. What do you need to do? If the thick client does not provide what you need then maybe it can be done through PowerCLI.

0 Kudos
grasshopper
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Agreed PowerCLI would be a great option.  The other option is to deploy the VCSA on 60 day trial and join the ESXi hosts to that.

0 Kudos
depping
Leadership
Leadership

LMBalla wrote:

I need to run some tests on an isolated network with one or two hosts. I have been using the vSphere client. I am using ESXi 5.5. However some of the things I have to do now require the vSphere Web Client. Can the vSphere Web client log directly into a host? I really don't need to do much so I don't really need vCenter Server for what I have to do.

Thanks in advance.

No you cannot do this today, this is something that is being explored as we speak and hopefully will be fixed in an upcoming release.

Duncan

-----------

Book out soon: Essential Virtual SAN: Administrator's Guide to VMware VSAN (VMware Press Technology)

0 Kudos
LMBalla
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the replies.

I have to try SR-IOV and I have found that the Web Client is required for this now. I do have PowerCLI and it would be great if I could use it for SR-IOV configuration because then I could automate some tasks.

0 Kudos
King_Robert
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Yes you can manage the ESX host directly from Vsphere Web Client also.

See the below given URL for more details:

VMware vSphere 5.1

0 Kudos