VMware Cloud Community
Jamesdean
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Can't turn on EVC on a cluster

All,

I have a cluster made up of two servers that are meant to be identical. They're both BL460 G1 blades, with E5420 Xeons. Call them 16 and 17

For some reason, when I go to turn on EVC, I get issues about one of the two (16) having hardware that doesn't support EVC.

Additionally,  I had a mix of guests that had started on one or the other when this came up. I was able to vMotion guests from 16 to 17, and back; but if they started on 17 the couldn't move. The error was CPU bitmask; NX/XD not available on 16. I checked in the BIOS, 16 should have NX/XD available. Can anyone shed any light on this? Has vCentre got its knickers in a twist somewhere, and how do I untwist them?

I can't get the precise error about the vMotion issue back any more, because all of the guests have now been shut down and restarted on 16, so that they can migrate.

James

Tags (4)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Have you checked that the Intel VT technology and Execute Disable Bit options are enabled?

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Have you checked that the Intel VT technology and Execute Disable Bit options are enabled?

0 Kudos
Jamesdean
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Yes; but I'm angling for another chance to look soon. Everything tells me it should be the source; to the point I don't trust my eyes from last time.

James

0 Kudos
Jamesdean
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Argh. VT was on, but XD was off. And I had looked. I had I had I had.

Thanks.

0 Kudos