VMware Cloud Community
leiw324
Contributor
Contributor

Can't startup win08 VM by deleted snapshot file

Hello,

Please see attached miss_file.jpg screenshot, the message display missed w05s04_1-000023.vmdk snapshot file, so cannot startup. The datastore2.jpg mean tis win08 VM Virtual Disk 2 is mount w05s04_1-000023.vmdk file. I can't restore this file from backup, could someone give me solution to fix this problem ?

Thanks

0 Kudos
29 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Good to hear it's running again. From the log files it looks like the snapshot chain was broken at some point and you fixed it again!?

Anyway, you should consider to delete the Snapshots from the Snapshot Manager ("Delete All") at some time. Running a VM with 34 Snapshots not only requires a huge amount of additional disk space, but may also slow down the VM significantly.

André

0 Kudos
leiw324
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

No, the VM is running, but I linked those .vmdk file to 4-10-2012, lost around 1 month data, so I want to recovery the w05s004_1-000023.vmdk file.

P.S. The snapshots problem fixed already.

Thanks

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

If I understand the issue correctly, you are out of luck and may need to restore the missing data from your backups. According to the log files a new (empty) snapshot "w05s004_1-000023.vmdk" was created today, that's why this file name appears again.

If a file is delete from the datastore the only chance to recover it (or parts of it) is to immediately power off all VM's on the same datastore to avoid any overwrites. With all the changes made after the file was lost (additional snapshots etc.) I'm afraid only a data recovery company may be able to restore some of the missing data from the datastore.

André

0 Kudos
leiw324
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

The backup server is dead can't recovery that file.

Do you know recovery harddisk data company can help to recovery that file ? if yes, can link back to those vmdks file ?

Thanks

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

As mentioned before, I guess part of the snapshot file may have already been overwritten. Anyway, you may give it a try and call e.g. Kroll Ontrack (http://www.ontrackdatarecovery.com.hk/en/about/ ), but be aware that the recovery may be very expensive.

André

0 Kudos
leiw324
Contributor
Contributor

Hi a.p.

I asked ontrackdatarecovery company that they can help to recovery the vmdk file, but I'm considering is it possible link back the recovered vmdk file to existing snapshots chain ? because they are changed, could you give me recommendation ?

Thanks

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Since there are no vmware*.log files from the time before this happened and a couple of snapshots have been created and delete after this, you could - at least in my opinion - only try to link the recovered .vmdk file (if it is recoverable at all) to different parents to see in which case you would be able to at least copy/restore some of the files from the virtual disk.

André

0 Kudos
leiw324
Contributor
Contributor

Hellp a.p.

1. There are vmware-73.log to vmware-77.log, those log files can't help ?

2. Do you mean I have deleted couple of snapshots by snapshots manager when this case occur ?

3. I have to make sure the recovered .vmdk file can link back to those parents, because recovery is very expensive.

4. What do you mean copy/restore some of the files from the virtual disk ?

5. Can I run clone to combine those snapshots issue to another VM?

Thanks

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

1. No, all these log files are from the day the issue occurred and don't contain the missing .vmdk file and it's position in the snapshot chain.

2. Yes, I assume so. There are new snapshots (even one with the same name as the deleted one), there were changes in the snapshot chain.

3. Sorry, I can't tell you whether this will work or not. It's kind of trial and error.

4.-5. If the missing file can be restored, there's still the need to link it to in the correct position of the snapshot chain. Since older log files are missing you can just try different positions and see what's the result. In any case this should be done by creating a clone and attaching the resulting virtual disk to a "Helper" VM as a second drive, to ensure the original data files don't get touched.

André

0 Kudos
leiw324
Contributor
Contributor

Hi a.p.

1. We are thinking to clone those files make combination, I know that cannot link back the recovered file, this is worst case, is it possible clone them without those log files ?

2. We can't restore the missed vmkd file from backup, so we will make a try if give money to recovery company.

Thanks

0 Kudos