VMware Cloud Community
MGaleti
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Can´t start converted machine

Dear VM colleagues,

I just converted a old Windows XP server into a VM. Because this server has many services running I closed all opened server and converted this machine using VMware-converter-3.0.3-89816.

After this conversion I tried to turn on this machine, I can see the BIOS but right after this BIOS the system stop with a cursor blinking in the left corner.

Not possible to go to the F5 or F8 menu - any security mode ! I tried Windows Recovery Console (chkdsk, fdisk, others) - anything !!!

In attach my log file ... I saw this strange message but I don´t know if this is the reason:

May 31 15:06:52.520: vmx| LogBackupByRenumber: failed to read the directory '/vmfs/volumes/4be96fba-8f59caa8-6f4f-002264f39f56/SINTEL.br.huf/stats'.

Thank you very much !!

Galeti

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I would start the conversion again and this time change the disk controller from IDE to SCSI (LSI). You will be able to do this in step 3 of the conversion process.

...and use the latest Standalone Converter

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I would start the conversion again and this time change the disk controller from IDE to SCSI (LSI). You will be able to do this in step 3 of the conversion process.

...and use the latest Standalone Converter

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

that sounds like the boot-partition is not activated - you can check with a LiveCD

by the way - for XP source using Converter 3.0.3 usually comes up with working results - while 4.0.1 often fails

VMX-parameters- WS FAQ -[ MOAcd|http://sanbarrow.com/moa241.html] - VMDK-Handbook

0 Kudos