VMware Cloud Community
shorton
Contributor
Contributor

Can't see extra space from growing LUN?

VSphere 4.0 resized my 512GB SAN LUN to 1.5TB.  VC recognizes LUN as 1.5TB but existing Virtual Servers cannot see resized LUN still sees it as 512GB.  How do you get existing VM's to recognize resized LUN's?

0 Kudos
18 Replies
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

what is is you are trying to do?  You resized your LUN, you are also trying to resize a HDD presented to your guest?

0 Kudos
shorton
Contributor
Contributor

Yes I want to resize one of the disks presented to this VM from 50GB to 1.5TB but not lose the data already on it.  

0 Kudos
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

Your maximum disk size is going to be dependent on the block size of you VMFS datastore.  Do you remember what you set that to? 

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

ok... WIndows guest or Linux?  Once we understand the guest OS, then we'll see what the best method to increase the drive in question is going to be.

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

...and yes, if that LUN is set with a 2MB block, the maximum you'll be able to increase is 512GB

0 Kudos
shorton
Contributor
Contributor

2008 R2 is the VM OS, On this ESX host If I add a new VM to this LUN I can create a 1TB or larger Disk, I cannot add a disk larger than 512GB to this existing VM. thx

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

it's probably a block size issue

http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1003565

0 Kudos
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

Do they live on the same datastore?   You can view this KB for block size information, http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1003565.   If it is indeed the block size you would need to storage motion to another datastore with a large block size to increase the size.

0 Kudos
shorton
Contributor
Contributor

Ok if I change the block size I should automatically see the change in my VM then?

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

Ok if I change the block size I should automatically see the change in my VM then?

yes, but changing the block size will require a format of the LUN and new presentation.

0 Kudos
shorton
Contributor
Contributor

No problem I'll storage vmotion the HD to a different LUN then Represent the 1.5TB LUN and reformat with 8MB Block. thx!

0 Kudos
shorton
Contributor
Contributor

That worked! Thanks so much for your help! Scott

0 Kudos
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

That's great news.  Since the inception of the LUN expansion ability there has been a lot of talk about block size.  From what I gather it doesn't hurt to set all of your block sizes to 8MB from the start now.   Troy, have you heard different or found a reason to not do this? 

0 Kudos
shorton
Contributor
Contributor

What about using LUN's larger than 512GB?  I have always been told this is best practice? thx.

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

there has been debate about whether or not a higher block size affects performance, although there really hasn't been a definitive answer.  It was talked about awhile back at Duncan's site

http://www.yellow-bricks.com/2009/05/14/block-sizes-and-growing-your-vmfs/

http://www.yellow-bricks.com/2009/03/24/an-8mb-vmfs-blocksize-doesnt-increase-performance/

0 Kudos
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

LUN sizes are always a little different because it depends on what you put on the LUN.  With the improvements in offloading task to the array and some of the reservation locking you can get away with putting more VM's on a LUN.  I think the bottom line is to simply  make sure you have the IOPS to handle the VMs.  

0 Kudos
AureusStone
Expert
Expert

If you are not using VAAI, then you should still consider locking to be very important.  Having said that I can't see any issues with having a big lun like this with one big VM.

0 Kudos
depping
Leadership
Leadership

Well Locking has been improved as well vastly over the year with what we  call "optimistic locking" and hasn't been that big of an issue. The real question is wether you can afford to have a LUN which is 2 x the size of your current LUN from an availability perspective. As the impact of that LUN getting corrupted is a lot bigger. Also the time it will take to restore will increase.

Duncan (VCDX)

Available now on Amazon: vSphere 4.1 HA and DRS technical deepdive

0 Kudos