VMware Cloud Community
Cyberfed27
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Can't resize disk of a VM, what gives?

I'm confused. I have a Windows 2008 R2 VM that has a 60GB C drive for the OS and a 100GB Data drive.

I am trying to resize the 100GB data drive to allocate more space to it.

However when I power off the VM and try to resize the disk size in the VM properties its greyed out.

Why?

I looked at some other VM's I have powered off and they are NOT greyed out on the disk size. What gives?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
vmroyale
Immortal
Immortal

Hello.

Do you have any snapshots on this VM?

Good Luck!

Brian Atkinson | vExpert | VMTN Moderator | Author of "VCP5-DCV VMware Certified Professional-Data Center Virtualization on vSphere 5.5 Study Guide: VCP-550" | @vmroyale | http://vmroyale.com
0 Kudos
Cyberfed27
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Dang, I sure do. Totally forgot that guy had a snapshot. That's it isn't it.

Thank you!

0 Kudos
kemetology
Contributor
Contributor

Ok im having the exact same problem with a server 2k8 r2 box? What gives. I dont have any snapshots and have vmotioned to another esxi host and back, even did a Svmotion just to see if it made a difference. It didnt

I did notice however that when I look at the datastore files ive got delta files associated with with the vmdks. Any suggestions?

0 Kudos
BharatR
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hi,

Allocate what ever size is Required and to expand the 100 GB Data disk

run the diskpart command from the windows 2008 R2

after allocating the Space confirm in Disk Management of Windows 2008 R2 is able to Show

then run run the Expand command from the Diskpart

Best regards, BharatR--VCP4-Certification #: 79230, If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos