VMware Cloud Community
milesmeridith
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Can't mount OS from host USB for install of a new VM

I am trying to create my first VM in VSphere client. All my other machines were migrated Hyper-V machine. I've created the machine but am having trouble loading the windows server 2003 r2 32 bit OS ISO. I have tried many ways to no success.

The VM just says Operating System not found. The first way I tried was putting the install disc into the VSphere host and changing the settings of the VM to point to the CD rom. This did not work.

The second way I tried was clicking the disc icon on the VM Console and chosing iso from local disc. I then browse to the iso file. When I did this it stays stuck in connecting. Even after I change this setting If I try to go back to the console disc icon it still says connecting no matter what I do on the VM settings. Can I stop it from trying to connect?

The third way I tried was sticking a usb to the VSphere host. However I can't figure out how to assign the VM to that USB. I notice that when I plug in my USB it says USB configuration changed in the Events, however I don't see the USB drive as an option under storage.

The fourth way I tried was by using WINSCP to SFTP the ISO to the datastore. When I do this it takes me to the root directory that only has about 100MB of space left on it. So it allows me to start transferring the iso and errors out. How do I change this?

I'm really frustrated on something that I feel should be really easy. Any help is appreciated.

Tags (4)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
spravtek
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Do you have access to vCenter?

If yes, this video shows how to upload an ISO: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6v8GsWJ9dc

If you get your ISO on the datastore you can browse to it via the vSphere client (console) of the VM, don't forget to set the "connect at startup" or "Connected" when you configure the CD-drive of the VM.

[Edit] Booting from USB can sometimes be a hassle, if you need to boot from USB you can use a boot manager like Plop, this is an ISO you can load through the CD-drive of the VM. More info here: http://www.vladan.fr/great-tip-how-to-boot-from-usb-image-in-vmware-workstation/ ... It's for Workstation but it works for ESXi 5.0 as well.

Message was edited by: spravtek

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
spravtek
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Do you have access to vCenter?

If yes, this video shows how to upload an ISO: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6v8GsWJ9dc

If you get your ISO on the datastore you can browse to it via the vSphere client (console) of the VM, don't forget to set the "connect at startup" or "Connected" when you configure the CD-drive of the VM.

[Edit] Booting from USB can sometimes be a hassle, if you need to boot from USB you can use a boot manager like Plop, this is an ISO you can load through the CD-drive of the VM. More info here: http://www.vladan.fr/great-tip-how-to-boot-from-usb-image-in-vmware-workstation/ ... It's for Workstation but it works for ESXi 5.0 as well.

Message was edited by: spravtek

0 Kudos
milesmeridith
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks for your help. I used VSphere client just like in the video to upload the iso file. I then changed the settings to point to that iso file. After that it worked like a charm. I'm a little confused about VCenter. Is VSphere client part of VCenter? I have the VSphere client installed on my maintenance PC do I need to install VCenter too? Sorry maybe this should be another post.

AS far as the disc drive issue though any comment?

0 Kudos
markpattersones
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

The disc drive mounting can be tricky. I've had that connecting.... hang and the only way around it without rebooting the host was to remove and readd the dvd drive in the VM settings. Also unmount the iso first if you have it mounted in Clonedrive or something similar. With virtual machines try to get in the habit of removing all iso connections to datastores when they aren't needed as otherwise you can run into trouble when you try to move or delete that iso later on.

I have also many times forgotten to tick the connected boxes when I added an iso link in the vm settings area. Making USB drives bootable is a whole pain in and of itself save this learning hurdle for when you are installing onto physical boxes. One thing to be sure of is that only once the VM is booted can you add a specific USB device to be connected and then it will survive over warm resets but sometimes not cold power cycles.

spravtek
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

No problem, glad to help ...

The vSphere client is a means to connect to either the ESXi host itself or the vCenter server.

In simple terms, vCenter is a management tool that uses a database to keep all the information about your ESXi hosts (performance metrics for example), it allows for easier management of your ESXi hosts, you need a license to use it though.