VMware Cloud Community
nyplnyc
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Can't mount NFS through client - can on host though.

Hi,

I'm having trouble presenting an NFS volume to ESX 4.1 as a datastore.

I can mount the NFS volume on the host direct from the command line.

I was not able to do it on the command line for a while, then I realized the firewall setting was there.

Once I modified the firewall setting, I could mount on the host directly.

But when I try from the client - configuration -> datastore -> add datastore I get

Call "HostDatastoreSystem.CreateNasDatastore" for object "ha-datastoresystem" on ESX "10.23.43.54" failed.

I also tried stopping and starting the nfs and portmap services.

Thanks!

Jay

Tags (4)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
FranckRookie
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Hi Jay,

From the command line, are you using "mount" or "esxcfg-nas"? Try using the second one, and have a look at the vmkernel log (/var/log/vmkernel).

Regards

Franck

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
FranckRookie
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Hi Jay,

From the command line, are you using "mount" or "esxcfg-nas"? Try using the second one, and have a look at the vmkernel log (/var/log/vmkernel).

Regards

Franck

0 Kudos
nyplnyc
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks. That info - where exactly to look - helped me figure it out. I didn't have vmkernel enabled - ugh. Everything is good now.

0 Kudos
writehaseeb
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Guys, I have the Cisco NSS322 NAS that is on VMware approved HW list for ESX 4.1 I am trying to do the same thing with no luck.

Previously I forgot to make a VMKernel interface, now I have that one as well. My service console and VMkernel are on same VLAN

service console 10.1.1.76 and VMkernel 10.1.1.81. I am getting this error:

Error:An error occurred during host configuration.

See the error stack for details on the cause of this problem.

Error Stack

Call "HostDatastoreSystem.CreateNasDatastore" for object "datastoreSystem-45" on vCenter Server "vCenterServer" failed.

Operation failed, diagnostics report: Unable to complete Sysinfo operation. Please see the VMkernel log file for more details.

0 Kudos