VMware Cloud Community
Tankman1989
Contributor
Contributor

Can't install/boot from ISO located on client machine

I found out how to copy to the datastore but still can't boot from ISO's.  It seems a little hidden to me.  Maybe add it to the menus section?

**Found fix for not being able to boot from ISO located on datastore - on the first image below on the top right ther is a section called "device status".  When "Datastore ISO File" is selected you must check the "connect at power on" box under the device status section.

I just installed ESXi 5.0 and am having a lot of problems getting anything installed on the system.  I have created 2 VM's but have not been able to get anything loaded on the blank "templates".  I have accessed the BIOS and made sure that DVD/CD was the first in boot order and clicked on the CD/wrench icon to point it to the ISO image on the client machine but it seems to be stuck at "connecting".  I'm wondering if this is a permissions issue as I'm running Windows 7 ultimate with passwords.

I know that it is also possible to put files on the local machine and point to the location on the datastore but I don't know how to do this.  Ideally I would be able to copy all my ISO's over by my external HD and then update them with my thumbdrives.  I just don't know how to access the datastore and what commands it uses.  I'm familiare with Linux and DOS command line commands.

This is the screen where I supposedly can point to the ISO on the datastore.

vmware.jpg

So what I really need to know is how do I copy files, create directories on the machine running ESXi 5.0? Can this be done with the client 5.0?

Here is a screenshot of how to get to the datastore browser in case anyone else runs into the same problem.

vmware2.jpg

The problem is even with using an ISO on the datastore I get this:

vmware3.jpg

I still can not boot from an ISO - and I have checked to make sure that DVD/CD is first in the boot menu.  Also, is there a way to make the "press F2 for BIOS setup" stay on the screen longer, it's there for about 1 second.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
yannara
Contributor
Contributor

If you have an .iso file, you can upload it to datastore and then in VM CD-ROM settings, point it to .iso.

To change the boot order of devices you need to go to statup settings in VM, and select that option that it will boot next time to bios. So boot order is configured in bios of VM.

0 Kudos
aravinds3107
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Try to copy your ISO and use Datastore ISO file and try installing the systems

Also, is there a way to make the "press F2 for BIOS setup" stay on the screen longer, it's there for about 1 second.

You can adjust the boot delay seconds from the options TAB on VM EDIT Settings

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful |Blog: http://aravindsivaraman.com/ | Twitter : ss_aravind
0 Kudos