VMware Cloud Community
EspNat_HdF
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Can't install an Ubuntu Desktop edition (20.04, 22.04, 22.10) in a VMWare ESXI 7.0.0 virtual machine

Hello,

I can't install a recent Ubuntu Desktop guest OS in my VMWare ESXI 7.0.0 (Build 16324942).

Each time I try, the installation process crashes on the "Where are you?" screen (when you have to choose the meridian in which you are), and the window is closed.

Then I can see the Ubuntu OS which were started from the ISO file (this VM is not installed in the VM. It is he "try Ubuntu" OS).

This is my VM's configuration :

CPU : 2
Core per socket : 2 (sockets : 1)
CPU hot plug : décoché
Reservation : No
Limit : unlimited
Parts : Normal
Material virtualisation : No
IOMMU : No
Performance counter : No
Afinity planification

Memory :
RAM : 8Go
Reservation : No
All guest memory reservation : No
Limit : unlimited
Parts : Normal
Hotplug Memory Connexion : No

Hard disk 1 : 96 Go
Max size  : 2 To
Type : Static provisionning, late reset
Disc file : [VMs]CEN-Ubuntu2204-OdkCentral/CEN-Ubuntu2204-OdkCentral.vmdk
Parts : normal
Limit – IOPs : Unilimited
Controller location : SCSI 0 Controller / SCSI (0:0)
Disc mode : Dependent
Share : No

SCSI 0 Controller : LSI Logic Parallel
SCSI Bus sharing : No

SATA 0 controller : Nothing

USB 1 controller : USB 3.1

Network adapter 1 : VM Network
Connected : Yes
State : « Connect when power on » Yes
Adapter type : VMXNET 3
MAC address : automatic

CD/DVD drive : Databank ISO file (Ubuntu installation)
Controler location : SATA 0 controller / SATA (0/0)

Video card : default
Screens : 1
Whole video memory : 4 Mo
3D graphics : No
3D rendering : Automatic

Security devices : Not configured
SGX : Disabled
Enclave page cache size : 0 Mo
Launch control configuration : Unlocked
Restrictions : Some operations and features are restricted (not compatible with SGX : vMotion, Fault tolerance, Suspending a VM, Taking a snapshot of a VM)

VM Options :
General options :
Name : CEN-Ubuntu2204-OdkCentral
Config. File : [VMs] CEN-Ubuntu2204-OdkCentral/CEN-Ubuntu2204-OdkCentral.vmx
Working directory : [VMs] CEN-Ubuntu2204-OdkCentral
Guest OS : Linux Guest OS
version : Ubuntu Linux (64 bits)

VMWare Remote Control Options :
Guest OS lockdown : No
Max sessions number : no limit

VMWare Tools :
Alimentation :

1. Stop guest OS
  2. Guest OS standby
  3. Power on / resume

I tried with 20.04, 22.04 and 22.10 Ubuntu desktop versions. I could install an Ubuntu 22.04 server edition (with only command line), and I've got 3 VM running CENTOS (6 to 9), which were installed without a bug.

Does anyone know the compatibilities between ESXI and Ubuntu? I tried to use the VMWare compatibility guide on the net https://www.vmware.com/resources/compatibility/detail.php?deviceCategory=Software&productid=45909&te..., But I found no other guest OS compatibles than 2 Suse versions... strange

Has anyone experienced the same bug before? Thanks for advance

0 Kudos
1 Solution
6 Replies
DCasota
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Hi,

Here some suggestions for your nested setup.

Do your ubuntu virtual machine settings have iommu: no, too? In the VMware vSphere 8.0 release notes there is a known guest os issue e.g. Linux guest operating system cannot complete booting if Direct Memory Access (DMA) remapping is enabled , with workaround description. Deselecting virtualize iommu (io memory management unit) in virtual machine settings or set vvtd.enable = "false" in .vmx file should be sufficient for pre-8.0 releases as well, but I didn't try it out.

See build numbers and versions. Accordingly to https://www.vmware.com/resources/compatibility/pdf/VMware_GOS_Compatibility_Guide.pdf of today (28th December 2022) the required ESXi releases are:

- Ubuntu Desktop edition 20.04: ESXi7.0 U1, 7.0, 6.7 U3, 6.7 U2, 6.7 U1, 6.7

- Ubuntu Desktop edition 22.04: ESXi8.0, 7.0 U3, 7.0 U2, 7.0 U1, 7.0, 6.7 U3, 6.7 U2, 6.7 U1, 6.7

- Ubuntu Desktop edition 22.10: ESXi8.0, 7.0 U3, 7.0 U2, 7.0 U1, 7.0

I would update the installation to ESXi 7.0 U1 e.g. ESXi 7.0 U1e.

Keep in mind the kb about Secure Boot of older Linux systems.

Hope this helps.

0 Kudos
Tibmeister
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Can't say I've seen this behavior before from Ubuntu 20.04 or 22.04.  I haven't had to mess with the IOMMU or any of that, the only difference that I do that I don't see on your is using the Paravirtual SCSI controller, modern Linux kernels have the drivers baked in.  It sounds like you have a faulty installer, of course I am also installing Server and using the text installer instead of the GUI.  I will have to try with the GUI installer and see if I can recreate your experience.

Tibmeister
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

@DCasota I have ran into that when using LVM on the guest and trying to re-install the OS overtop of the old.  Not completely sure if that's what OP's problem is, but maybe... 

0 Kudos
EspNat_HdF
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hello to both of you,
I'm finally answering you to tell that I found the solution thanks to you!
In the link provided in the above post, one idea was to disconnect the VM's network card during the installation of Ubuntu.
I don't know why, it worked!
My Ubuntu installed without any problem.
Then I just had to reconnect the NIC
Thanks a lot!
Sincerely
Vincent Damoy

0 Kudos
Chavell384
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

for me the solution was to increase the vm graphics memory from 4MB(default) to e.g. 16MB. I didn't tested every variation like 8 or 12MB...

0 Kudos