VMware Cloud Community
Catsrules
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Can't install Openfiler doesn't detect x86 CPU

I have ESXi install on my poweredge 2850, the CPUs are 64 bit but it doesn't have any virtualisation so I can't run any 64bit guest. So I am useing all 32bit guest.

I am trying to install OpenFiler 2.99 the ISO is a x86 and a x64. So I setup my Guest as a Linux 2.6 32Bit, But when I install OpenFiler I get this error "This kernel requires and x86-64 CPU, but only detects and i686 CPU. Unable to boot - please use a kernel appropriate for your CPU."

My CPUs are Intel  Xeon CPU 3.40GHz x 2.

I am going to try older version see if they work, but I would rather have the newiest version.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
vmroyale
Immortal
Immortal

Hello.

Are you using ESXi 4.x?  Do you have paravirtualization enabled for this linux VM?  If so, try turning it off.

Also, check out kb 1026596 about OpenFiler support, if you are going to present this storage to your ESXi host(s).

Good Luck!

Brian Atkinson | vExpert | VMTN Moderator | Author of "VCP5-DCV VMware Certified Professional-Data Center Virtualization on vSphere 5.5 Study Guide: VCP-550" | @vmroyale | http://vmroyale.com
0 Kudos
Catsrules
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Yes I am useing ESXi 4.X

Paravirtualization was disabled to start with. should I try with it turned on?

I tried the next version down 2.33. and it worked. Do you think if I run update on version 2.33 it would update it to 2.99?

I do have another ESXi 4.x server. If I get a spair moment I will try to install 2.99 on that and see if that works.

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

I would see what install boot options there may be with openfiler. ESXi will expose the Xeon processor to the virtual machine which probably forks the installer to the 64bit OS. You may be able to force the installer to choose 32bit. Try F1 at the first openfiler boot screen.

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator
0 Kudos
Catsrules
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I can get to a consol windows where I can enter paramiters like only useing 256 megs of ram. But I don't know the command to force x86, if there even is one.

I tryed this on my other ESXi server and the same thing happened. It has the same CPUs but only at 3GHz

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

You can certainly try an upgrade. Since you have just installed it and don't have anything set up to use it you have little to loose. I would scan the openfiler forums to see if there are issues with running the 2.99 version on ESX(i). Do make sure you read the KB article in vmroyal's post.

0 Kudos
Catsrules
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I looked around and on the Openfiler 2.99 announcement they said there is no 32-bit processor support.

https://lists.openfiler.com/viewtopic.php?pid=25593

Could this be the reason?

But Technicly I am still running a 64Bit processor. So even if it is running at 32 bit it should still be supported, right?

Why do they still have x86 listed on the name of there install ISO if 32bit isn't supported?

0 Kudos
    DSTAVERT
    Immortal
    Immortal

You can not virtualize a 64 bit operating system without VT capability on the host system. You are stuck with 32 bit OS's on your machine.

0 Kudos