VMware Cloud Community
dareblue
Contributor
Contributor

Can't install ESXi

I have downloaded ESXi and burned the ISO to make a bootable install CD.  The computer boot off the CD and loads the install.  It gets to the yellow screen and says, "VMKernel loaded successfully" and nothing happens.  It's as if the install is locked up.  I have let it sit over night and there is no change in the morning.  I have to power off the computer and reboot.  I have tried several times and each time it stops at the same spot.  Any ideas what cause this?  The machine is Pentium dual core 2.8GHz and 4GB of RAM.  Thank you.

0 Kudos
10 Replies
dareblue
Contributor
Contributor

When the install stops on the yellow screen, I hit ALT-F12 and get the log.  The last line is red and reads "cpu0:4125 Alert: UserCartel: 1454: bootstrap/init UW died (127)"  What does this mean?

0 Kudos
AndreTheGiant
Immortal
Immortal

Welcome to the community.

Thread moved in the ESXi area.

Your system is in HCL?

Andrew | http://about.me/amauro | http://vinfrastructure.it/ | @Andrea_Mauro
0 Kudos
john23
Commander
Commander

check HCL whether Pentium dual core processor servers supported? I don't think pentium family listed in HCL.

Thanks -A Read my blogs: www.openwriteup.com
0 Kudos
dareblue
Contributor
Contributor

The system itself, a Gateway GT5224 Desktop PC is not on the HCL, but most of the components are.  Does the error point to particular hardware that is not compatible?  I tried installing it on a white box PC with an AMD X2 250 CPU and 2GB of RAM and ECS nVidia Motherboard with no problem.

0 Kudos
john23
Commander
Commander

mostly on unspported h/w its not installed (its my observation),but It can install on unspported h/w (which is not mentioned in HCL)

0 Kudos
dareblue
Contributor
Contributor

That's exactly what I've exprienced.  No problem installing on hardware, none of which is on HCL, but the better machine, All Intel, most on HCL, it doesn't work.  Is there possible a setting in the BIOS that may help?

0 Kudos
john23
Commander
Commander

setting you can try , install after enable intel-VT in the bios

0 Kudos
cdc1
Expert
Expert

FYI, not all Intel Dual Core CPUs support VT.  Depending on your CPU's specific model, it may not.

Also, in situations such as yours, I've had better luck using VMware Player or Workstation to get ESXi installed onto a USB key, then using that USB key to boot the "host".  No guarantees it will work in your case, but it's worth a shot at any rate.

Message was edited by: cdc

0 Kudos
dareblue
Contributor
Contributor

How do I use vmplayer to install ESXi to a usb stick.  I like the sound of that since it would be nice to not use part of a hard drive just to boot the host.  Thanks.

0 Kudos
cdc1
Expert
Expert

- In VMware Player, create a VM, and point its optical drive to the ESXi ISO that you downloaded.

- Add a USB controller to the VM before you power it on.

- Plug your USB key into the system that you have Player installed on.

- Power on the VM in Player.

- When you see the ESXi installer menu appear, make sure your keyboard has focus in that VM, and press the up or down arrow key.  This will disable the installer menu's countdown timer, buying you the time you need to connect your USB key to the VM.

- connect your USB key to the VM.

- select the option to install ESXi from the installer menu.

- when you get to the point during installation where it lists the locations to where you can install ESXi, choose your USB key.

- proceed with the rest of the install as normal.

- when the installation is finished, power off the VM, and remove the USB from the system that has Player installed on t.

Boot your VMware host from that USB key.

0 Kudos