VMware Cloud Community
krissoers
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Can't increase datastore

Running Esxi 4.1

I added disk to my raid5.

In the properties of my datastore i can see that my device/disk has increased (image1 - 1).

But when I want to increase the datastore there are no devices shown?? (image3)

Does anyone have a clue?

I am planning an upgrade to Esxi 5, is this going to help me?

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Even though the partition is being deleted, it is created again with just a larger size but the same start sector. If everything works as expected this will not modify any data on the partition itself and all your data should be preserved.

André

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Welcome to the Community - with vSphere you cannot grow a VMDK volume by adding storage. The only way to expand a volume is by adding an extent. Going to ESXi 5 would help if you are willing to reformat the datastores as VMDK 5 to allow for the ability to expand the datastore.

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Welcome to the Community,

The only way to increase the datastore on the installation disk is to do it manually from the command line. You can find a walk-through at http://deinoscloud.wordpress.com/2010/05/03/how-to-increase-the-size-of-a-local-datastore-on-an-esxi...

However, be careful with the description and make sure you resize the correct partition (should be partition 3 in your case)!

André

0 Kudos
krissoers
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for the walkthrough.

I am going to try it over the weekend.

After a full backup.

Does this mean that I always have to restore my vm's?

Because the walkthrough mentions that I have to delete my partition.

Kris

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Even though the partition is being deleted, it is created again with just a larger size but the same start sector. If everything works as expected this will not modify any data on the partition itself and all your data should be preserved.

André

0 Kudos