VMware Cloud Community
jaeckyl
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Can't import VM

I have a bit of a problem, and I'm a newbie to VMWare.  I have a host setup that I reinstalled after finding out that having it installed on a USB stick prevents me from using USB pass through.

Now I need to import the VM I had previously built into the new host, but can't seem to get the web client past step 3, Select Storage.

Here's where I'm completely stuck.  I can click NEXT all day, it doesn't do anything.

vmstep3.png

My VMDK is only 13Gb, so this is not a space issue.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
timweaver23
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Ok so the VM is not on the original datastore? You could still use the vsphere client go file -> deploy OVF from template.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
timweaver23
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi,

If you can use the desktop Vsphere client then you log onto the host or VC, browse the datastore where the VM is stored. Select the VMDK file and select add to inventory.

Cheers

0 Kudos
jaeckyl
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Ok, so part of my problem may simply be adding the .ovf and .VMDK to the datastore separately.  I downloaded them using the Export function in the web interface, and saved the files locally.

Should I try uploading those files to the datastore, which is completely empty at the moment?  And if I should, should I create a folder with the name of the VM and place the VMDK in that folder?

Thanks in advance!

0 Kudos
timweaver23
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Ok so the VM is not on the original datastore? You could still use the vsphere client go file -> deploy OVF from template.

0 Kudos
jaeckyl
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for the tip, sadly, I think I'm out of luck, the OVF file is corrupt, and can't be used, and when I try and connect a new VM to the existing VMDK I get a similar error.  Lesson learned, the export was garbage, so I get to start over.

Thanks again!

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Although it may have been possible to configure a datastore on a USB device in vSphere 6.0 it was unsupported.  Please consult vSphere SSD and Flash Device Support (2145210) | VMware KB.  In vSphere 6.5 it is definitely not possible to configure or access a datastore on a USB device and thus issues can arise on upgrade.

0 Kudos