VMware Cloud Community
vinnieb
Contributor
Contributor

Can't get USB devices working, ESXI 6, Skylake H170 board

HI,

I'm trying to setup a bunch of virtualised machines, one being a Windows instance that ideally I'd pass through a graphics card, webcam and keyboard to use as a Skype setup to my TV. I bought a skylake based build, on a gigabyte H170 ITX board, and got the video passed through easily. Problem is now USB, from the sounds of reading other posts, I'd have better chance of the keyboard/mouse HID and webcam working if a whole USB device was passed through. But, I only see one in the hardware list, Intel Sunrise Point-H USB 3.0 Controller ( 8086:a12f). That showed as not capable of passthrough, so I tried adding it to the passthru.map file, as:

8086  a12f  d3d0 true

But, now it appears still greyed out as disabled.

I've only got one pci slot as its an ITX board, and I want to keep the external graphics card in there really. Otherwise I'd try adding an another controller.

Any suggestions?

Thanks alot!

0 Kudos
1 Reply
kwaza
Contributor
Contributor

I had the same issue with my Asrock h170 board. I did the same steps as you (adding 8086  a12f  d3d0  true) and in the Web/host Client it was grayed-out.

But when i checked with the vSphere Client I can select the USB controller and enable it for passtrough. It appears to work fine in a Win10 VM now.

0 Kudos