VMware Cloud Community
saadm493
Contributor
Contributor

Can't find a License manager icon?

Do I need to do something special to see license manager icon on vSphere Client 5.5.0 (connected to ESXi 5.5.0)?

I'm logged on with root, which is in Administrator role, that has all privileges, but when I see home>Administration, all I see is Roles and System Logs.

Tags (4)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Hi saadm493,

As vSphere Client is to manage a single host, you won't see License Manager icon separately.

To configure a License, select your Host (name/IP address) which should be at the top of the navigation panel on the left.

1. Select the Configuration tab, and then click Licensed Features under Software category.

2. Click Edit and Assign a new license key to this host.

3. Enter key and type your license key.

0 Kudos
saadm493
Contributor
Contributor

Hi sayshh,

Yes. I'm aware of this. I want to release (remove) the license key I entered, that should be used by someone else. I could enter one but there is no button or anything to remove one. And when I searched through the community it says in order to remove a license key one should use the License Manager in home>administration.

Also, another page I found says I can directly edit a license key file in the host. Can I do that to release the license?

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

The license manager is only available with vCenter Server in place,. In case of a stand-alone ESXi host you need to manage the licenses as explained above. You basically have two option (other than reinstalling the host) to release the current license. Either switch back to Evaluation Mode (only possible within the eval period /the first 60 days), or enter another license key (e.g. one for the free Hypervior).

André

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

What a.p. says is right, if you want to "release" a particular license you have to choose another one from the list displayed under Assign an existing license key to the host when you click Edit in Licensed Features, i.e. if you had used other keys. Else, you need to select the Evaluation Mode, which could be problematic in a production environment if the 60 day evaluation period is over.

0 Kudos
saadm493
Contributor
Contributor

So it seems the license is released when the host turns back to evaluation mode.

Is the license released for certain if the vSphere Client says it's running in evaluation mode (no key is listed in the edit license window)? I edited the text file on the host that stores the license key with the newly downloaded evaluation key. (It's ok to turn back to evaluation mode, and the downloaded evaluation key could not be entered via vSphere Client saying something like downgrading is not supported.)

If it's sure the license is released I'll tell the other guy in the team he can use the key.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Switching to evaluation mode, or entering another valid license key will release the currently used key, so it can be used for another host. However, keep in mind that if you are going to enter a license key with less features, you will receive a warning which states some features will not be available anymore. If any features - which are not covered by the new license key - are already in use, you will not be able to apply the key prior to disabling these features.

André

0 Kudos