VMware Cloud Community
ciandro
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Can't expand Virtual Disk size

I do this type of maintenance all the time. Usually on Windows 2008 R2 servers where I can just go to the VM > Edit Settings > Hard Drive and expand it to my pleasure and then add the space to the host "hot" without need to reboot or use third party "boot" tools to expand (ie. GParted).

We run vSphere 5.0. The VM for this case is a Win2k8 R2 64-bit on a 4.1 host. Our datastores are NFS volumes on NetApp storage infrastructure. Now this is the issue:

On the same datastore, same OS (2k8 R2) I can change the settings on some VMs to increase the disk space and on others I can't. This is:

• same datastore (NFS - yes, there is enough space to grow)
  • different hosts
  • same OS
  • all of them are set for Thin Provisioning
  • vmware tools are running and up to date

For some reason some VMs allow me to grow their Hard Drive (size available xxx.xxGB) and others don't let me grow (size available N/A): the option to click the arrows to grow the hard drive is grayed out.

Ideas?

Thanks!

Alex

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

You can't. Unfortunately it's not possible to resize virtual disk with snapshots.

André

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Do the VMs have active snapshots?

André

ciandro
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Yes - after you suggested, I checked and the VMs with snapshots do not let me expand the disk. The VMs without snapshots let me expand the disk.

How can I circumnavigate this issue?

Thx,

Alex

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

You can't. Unfortunately it's not possible to resize virtual disk with snapshots.

André

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

you won't be able to expand the disks if they have active snapshots.  You must consolidate your snapshots