VMware Cloud Community
JohnMatrix
Contributor
Contributor

Can't edit child alarms even as part of admin group and permissions are set to propagate.

Hopefully I'm not missing something stupid.  We are running vsphere 5.5.  I am in a specifically created group for vm admins that's part of the VMware admin group at the root level.  The Role column shows admin and Defined in This object and it's children.  When I look at each datacenter (and it's hosts) permissions, they all state defined in, it shows the root level.  However, if I try to edit any of the existing default alarms, the option is not there.  I can go and create a new alarm however.  I want to be able to change the default alarm at any level (since I'm an admin).  Is there something I'm missing?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
vLarus
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Yes you can not edit the alarms that are configured on the root level (vCenter level) on the Datacenter level.

As per the vSphere 5.5 Documentation Center:

"To monitor your environment, you can create and modify alarm definitions in the vSphere Web Client. You can view alarm settings from any object, but you can modify settings only through the object on which the alarm is defined.!"

vSphere 5.5 Documentation Center

Hope this helps.

vmice.net
0 Kudos