VMware Cloud Community
mooncaptain66
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Can't connect to ESXi 4 using VSphere client - can connect to all virtual machines

I've had this running for several months the build number is 208167. This just started happening so I rebooted the server still have the same problem - all the VM's started up OK and I can connect to them using remote desktop (they are all W2K3 boxes execept for one Linux JumpBox).

Putty and WinSCP give a connection refused error. VSphere client says there is a connection failure. Nothing looks out of place when I connect to the console.

Does anyone have an idea how to recover from this problem?

0 Kudos
7 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

Welcome to the Forums - Are you able to pings the IP addrsss of the ESXi host?

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
mphilli7823
Contributor
Contributor

Are you using the latest version of the vSpehere Client? I just downloaded mine and it says it ver 4.0.0 build 208111...

0 Kudos
danm66
Expert
Expert

wow, putty and winscp won't connect, either? I'm assuming that you had enabled SSH access previously...

Can you get in and restart the management agents and network on the phys console?

0 Kudos
mooncaptain66
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I have enabled SSH access. Also I can ping the ip address of the system from two locations. The winscp and putty connections are on one box and the VMWare client is on another. They are all on the same subnet. I have rebooted once. And I have also restarted the network and management agents from the console but to no avail.

Weird huh?

0 Kudos
mooncaptain66
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks everybody for your help. It turns out this was a network administration problem with someone configuring a VPN into the router that runs my subnet and some machines I didn't even know existed got mapped into the same ip range as several of our build servers including the ESXi box in question. So... short answer is this was an IP number conflict and all is well now.

Nice to know there's help so close.

Thanks again

Paul

0 Kudos
mooncaptain66
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Problem solved

0 Kudos
danm66
Expert
Expert

If it's doing it from bootup, then there must be some foundational issue. Do you have external storage? Try disconnecting it and rebooting and/or view /var/log/messages to see if there are any errors there that indicate the problem. you will need to go into unsupported/troubleshooting mode from the physical to view the log.

oops, took too long to write the reply... nvm Smiley Happy

0 Kudos