VMware Cloud Community
fredriklydersen
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Can't boot with usb key on my hp proliant microserver, why ??

Hi!

I've had some problems related to install esxi 5.5 on my hp proliant microserver.. usb keyboard, but i solved that by connecting another keyboard, an old labtec keyboard.

Seems esxi isn't compatible with logitech g510.. BUT i have another problem. My server wont boot with my usb key esxi installation any longer. It was also like this before i changed the keyboard so that isnt the issue. Server boots fine and then i get the message: "Remove disk or Media Press a key to reboot"

This have worked fine just a couple a days ago. The usb boot work OK on my Hp workstation..

I have a windows server 2008R2 installed on the server, but the usb boot was working fine when that OS is installed.. So nothing has really changed, it just stopped wanted to boot with usb key.. I've loaded the default bios setting to.. Im lost here please help ! :smileycry:

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
fredriklydersen
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

OK iv'e installed esxi 5.5 via USB key Smiley Happy

Follow this link to get the usb boot: http://www.tinkertry.com/rufus-takes-2-minutes-to-create-a-bootable-usb-flash-drive-for-esxi-install...

Not sure yet why this work, but i will find out!

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
9 Replies
BoneTrader
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi,

check your boot order.

Which HP Microserver do you use?

Bone

0 Kudos
fredriklydersen
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

hi Smiley Happy

i've done that, usb first boot.. Hp Proliant NL54. It's strange because it worked a couple days ago.. the same usbkey boots OK from my hp workstation..

Is the windows server 2008R2 installation preventing it to boot right ? humm, it worked before when the server OS was installed.. I don't get it:smileyplain:

0 Kudos
BoneTrader
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi,

-> does the same USB key boot vSphere on your Workstation?

-> If yes, have  you disconnected your Disk on which you have installed the Windows Server

-> have you tried it on a different USB Port?

0 Kudos
fredriklydersen
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

yes the same usb boots ok from my hp workstation.. I've tried all usb ports on the proliant.. i can see inn the bios boot messages that the usb is loaded ok. I only got one disk so i can't disconnect that one. The strange thing is that this worked ok just a few days ago, when the windows server2008r2 was installed..

The only difference is that i promoted that server to a PDC(primary domaincontroller). I demoted it today so its no longer a DC, but the problem continues..

0 Kudos
BoneTrader
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

if vSphere is installed on the USB drive then you won´t need the disk. -> unplug it.

-> check your BIOS and Bootoptions again.

0 Kudos
fredriklydersen
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

ok, disabled the hardisk in the bios. Same message: "Remove disk or Media Press a key to reboot"

I dont think vsphere is installed on the usb ony esxi 5.5.. As i mentioned earlier in the thread, this was working fine just a couple a days ago..

0 Kudos
fredriklydersen
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

ok so now i wiped and formated the entire disk with diskpart, so no windows server OS there. Same error message with usb key boot..

I'm not sure what to do? flash the bios ?

0 Kudos
fredriklydersen
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

OK so now i flashed the bios to the latest versjon. Problem persists !! what the .... ??

0 Kudos
fredriklydersen
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

OK iv'e installed esxi 5.5 via USB key Smiley Happy

Follow this link to get the usb boot: http://www.tinkertry.com/rufus-takes-2-minutes-to-create-a-bootable-usb-flash-drive-for-esxi-install...

Not sure yet why this work, but i will find out!

0 Kudos