VMware Cloud Community
gsmanigandan
Contributor
Contributor

Can't backup VM through Veeam while Gust OS running

We can't backup VM  through Veeam(Third part tool) while running Gust OS.

I got the following error,

Failed to get file 'nfc://conn:192.168.1.20,nfchost:ha-host,stg:5aa900f8-6bc1142b-0935-0021cccba1e3@DSL-4.4.10/DSL-4.4.10-de58d3e0.vswp'DiskLib error:  [13].
The file is locked or in use -- File open failed: File not open Failed to create NFC download stream.
NFC path: [nfc://conn:192.168.1.20,nfchost:ha-host,stg:5aa900f8-6bc1142b-0935-0021cccba1e3@DSL-4.4.10/DSL-4.4.10-de58d3e0.vswp].
Shared memory connection was closed.DiskLib error: [13].The file is locked or in use -- File open failed:

I have tried few troubleshooting, it as follows,

1) Port 902 can telnet from backup server.

2) Manually, We can download the VM files to the backup server(with out using veeam)

3) We can backup VM's when it's power off state through Veeam.

4) we can ping IP as well as Esxi host name from backup server.

Please help me resolve the above problem.

Tags (2)
4 Replies
Mirekmal
Contributor
Contributor

Not 100% related to your situation, but possibly can help to troubleshoot further...  I had similar issue with backing up ESX hypervisor (free) VMs using CloudBacko. The problem was that these machines were using PCI passthrough HDD controller and disks and such setup prevents hypervisor from taking snapshot of vmdk. Everything works fine when machines are powered off.

0 Kudos
adgate
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Here is KB guide how to solve the issue. KB1198: NFC connectivity troubleshooting steps.
Also you could contact Veeam support team, so they could look at your issue more effectively.

Yuva_1990
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hi

What about the underlying storage is that nfs iscsi or Fd

Regards

Yuvaraj

0 Kudos
Aditya2018
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

The issue seems to be due to files being locked when the VM is running, ideally when the backup is triggered, the VM runs on Snapshot disks and the actual disks are mounted to Backup server.

When the VM and backup are on different datastore NFC connection is used to connect to disks.

From the error it is not clear what is causing the issue, but you can try to resolve the issue by either deploying an backup proxy on the datastore the VM is running on or running VM and Backup server on the same host and datastore.

Sincerely, Aditya Gottumukkala Skyline Skyline Moderator VMware Inc