VMware Cloud Community
Prokurator
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Can't add a disconnected host to a cluster

Hi folks,

I have a very strange problem - 1 host in my cluster is always shown as disconnected. When i connect it manually, it is then coonected, starts to configure HA and after that is disconnected again.

Disabling HA - the same problem. It stays connected some seconds (up to a minute) and then is disconnected again.

Do you have any ideas?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

DNS is a good first suspect, but it may also be the management agent itself. At the service console type

service vmware-vpxa restart

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
dtracey
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Hi mate,

One initial thing to check is DNS - make sure all hosts in the HA cluster are resolvable from all other hosts (and vc) - use only lowercase for the hostname entries i:

/etc/vmware/esx.conf, /etc/hosts, /etc/sysconfig/network and /proc/sys/kernel/hostname

Also check hostnames are lowercase through VI (configuration tab | DNS and routing)

Hope this helps.

Dan

Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

DNS is a good first suspect, but it may also be the management agent itself. At the service console type

service vmware-vpxa restart

0 Kudos
dtracey
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

True - also check that your network configuration is spot on - Service Console and vmkernel default gateways and subnet masks are correct etc.

0 Kudos
Joshua_Mally
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

HA issue are mostly due to nameresolution issues.

This is great whitepaer to troubleshoot HA issues logically. Attaching the white paper

I would suggest the following after you have confirmed that your name resolution is in place.

1. Move the disconnected ESX server out of the cluster.

2. Restart mgmt-vmware service on ESX

3. move it back to the cluster

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!

-Josh

Trying to learn

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!! -Josh Trying to learn 🙂
Prokurator
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

After restarting the management agent the host is connected again

Thank you all!

0 Kudos